Help with long range stock selection

Very helpfull
Fit makes a big difference in recoil and feel, but it's often hard to check out these custom stocks in person. Manners will mail you samples to try if you pay for shipping. The grayboe outlander is on the remington AWR, if you can find one in stock.

I liked the grayboe but the cheek was too low for me. I went with an EH6 as this was before the lighter outlander with the adjustable check option. I like the cheek weld and traditional grip. I also have an EH1 on a target rifle and love that stock as well.

Grayboe has 20% off for black friday, might be enough to sway me if I was in your position. Should be $383 with the adjustable cheek if my math is right.
Very helpfull, thank you. Is your eh6 adjustable? And would you be comfortabke carrying the eh1 for hunting or do you think its a beeter choice for shootong off a bench and not so great for hunting? Also do you feel like your manners stocks feel good in the hand with the elite hunter shell or do you think they feel smoother and harder to grip firmly like i mentioned in my post?

Also something to look at might be a grs warg. They aren't particularly light, but I really love the way the grs stocks feel in almost all shooting positions. They are definitely not the standard American style stock, but the ergonomics are amazing.

Plus there's one for sale in the classifieds here and I'm sure the seller would be willing to give his experiences with it.

Savage and bergara both sell rifles with grs stocks if you want to feel one. I know cabela's sells the Savage grs

Also something to look at might be a grs warg. They aren't particularly light, but I really love the way the grs stocks feel in almost all shooting positions. They are definitely not the standard American style stock, but the ergonomics are amazing.

Plus there's one for sale in the classifieds here and I'm sure the seller would be willing to give his experiences with it.

Savage and bergara both sell rifles with grs stocks if you want to feel one. I know cabela's sells the Savage grs

I will look at them, im going to do that right now. Thank you

Very helpfull

Very helpfull, thank you. Is your eh6 adjustable? And would you be comfortabke carrying the eh1 for hunting or do you think its a beeter choice for shootong off a bench and not so great for hunting? Also do you feel like your manners stocks feel good in the hand with the elite hunter shell or do you think they feel smoother and harder to grip firmly like i mentioned in my post?
I think the eh6 is going to get me closer to my 10 lb goal then the grayboe outlander, from what the grayboe website says even with the adjustable cheek hardware its only going to weigh 2 lbs

Very helpfull

I'd be comfortable hunting with the EH1, but for offhand shots the EH6 feels better. Prone or at the bench the EH1 has the edge. My stocks don't feel slippery to me, but its not as grippy as skateboard tape either, so YMMV. Neither of mine are adjustable as the combs are the perfect height for me with Seekins low 30mm rings. I believe my EH6 weighs 28 ounces with two flush cups. Likely closer to 30 with pillars and bedding installed.

Thank you for the information. Ive never used an adjustable cheek, does it feel odd against your cheek when its raised and you have a gap between the stock and the cheek piece or can you even notice it?
You never notice it. It allows you to line up you face with the optic in the same spot every time and not have to hunt for it. Feels the same as any other stock

Im looking for some advice from anyone who is willing to give it about selecting a long range hunting stock. I current have a manners mcs-t on my custom rig. Its a 7mm rem mag with a blueprinted and trued remington 700 long action and a brux #4 barell, talley high rings and a zeiss conquest v6 5-30x50 scope. The manners mcs t is a nice stock with an excellent comb height but i do not like the grip at all, its more in between feeling to me (not quite vertical and not quite traditional) Ive shot traditional grip rifles all my life, for example a browning x bolt and remington 700 bdl with a factory wood stock so thats what im most used to but i also have a browning x bolt hells canyon long range with the mcmillan game scout stock and i really like that stock other than the low comb height. I also like the texture and feel of the mcmillan better than the manners elite hunter carbon fiber shell, the manners feels too smooth and harder to grip firmly than the mcmillan, the mcmillan has a much better texture and easier to hold on to while wearing glove when hunting. Anyways the stocks im looking at or as follows...manners eh6A, manner eh1, mcmillan game hunter, mcmillan game stalker, or grayboe outlander with an adjustable cheek piece. I deer hunt in the southeast and shots can be from any position, free hand while standing, from treestands (some with good rifle rests and some not so great), sitiing, prone, off of primos trigger sticks, or even off the hood of a truck with a jacket underneath the forearm for support. I built this rifle with the dream of one day going to wyoming, Montana, or colorado on an elk or mule deer hunt so the rifle would be used for spot and stalk style hunting as well. I like a rifle to have some weight to it as i find it easier to hold steady for long distance shots but also dont want a piece of pulp wood to tote around either. It currents weights a tad over 9.5 lbs with the manners t and honestly feels a bit front heavy. I would the total weight with scope to be from 10 to 10.5 lbs. So any and all suggestions or advice about the stocks listed above would be greatly appreciated and also what do you guys find to be the best grip for all arpund hunting with the intention of making long range shots when need be from any given position, vertical such as the mcmillan game hunter and manners eh1 or more traditional such as the mcmillan game stalker, manners eh6a or grayboe outlander? Thanks ahead of time for the help.

I've got a Grayboe Outlander and also a Terrain that I really like. The Terrain is more geared towards Longrange in my opinion with the improved grip and cheek weld for shooting longrange prone shots. The Outlander is nice as well but is more of your traditional stock. Both well under 2 lbs. Ryan and the guys at Grayboe have great customer service. I just ordered their new Phoenix stock with their new Hunter DBM also. Stock comes in at 2lbs and bottom metal 4 ounces. It's a lot of stock for the weight and they recently added some other camo choices and comes with a adjustable cheek weld. I had a McMillan game Hunter on a rifle that I like but I've sold that rig since.

Last edited:
I like both my Grayboe Outlander and Terrain stocks. Very well made and the customer service by Ryan and the guys is outstanding. I just ordered the new Phoenix stock they make which comes in at

ive got a Grayboe Outlander and also a Terrain that I really like. The Terrain is more geared towards Longrange in my opinion with the improved grip and cheek weld. Both under 2 lbs. Ryan and the guys at Grayboe have great customer service. I just ordered their new Phoenix stock with their new Hunter DBM also. Stock comes in at 2lbs and bottom metal 4 ounces. It's a lot of stock for the weight and they recently added some other camo choices. I had a McMillan game Hunter on a rifle that I like but I've sold that rig since.
Thanks for the info, did you sell the other rifle due to the stock or did you like the mcmillan game hunter? How would you rate the game hunter vs the grayboe terrain? Which one did you find better for carry but also capable for a long range shot when the need arises?

Thanks for the info, did you sell the other rifle due to the stock or did you like the mcmillan game hunter? How would you rate the game hunter vs the grayboe terrain? Which one did you find better for carry but also capable for a long range shot when the need arises?

I sold the rifle as I did not like the entire rig. The Game Hunter was nice but I did not like the large cheek rest on the side. The Terrain is more my style, grip, fit, etc... More slim line and easier for me to pack but also very capable of long range shots. I like it so much I built a second rig with it, 6.5 PRC and a 300 PRC. I use a buttstock cheek rest ammo carrier on both that allows me adjustability if needed but I've never needed to adjust. They've got 20% off for Black Friday, BF2020 is discount code. They will do any of the camo offered for any of their stocks on the Terrain also. Email Ryan Melancon direct if you have questions, [email protected]. If I'm not mistaken Grayboe was started by one of the McMillan boys. Here's pics of my rigs.

1606580043101.jpeg

1C197CB2-4EE7-41D7-8DE3-306BEC1A8D61.jpeg

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.