Help with caliber choice 6.5,708 or 308

I'll own. 6.5-284 again someday. Still have a pile of lapua brass and kept my dies. But for this gun I might just do a creedmoor. Really the pros out weigh the cons.
Why no love for the 308? Just because 6.5 and 7 bullet bc is so much better? I would think a 165 accubond in a 308 would be a darn good load.

That's not true, a couple years ago all the rage was the 6.5 SAUM, I don't see many posts about it these days and I see lots of guns chambered for it in the for sale section.

I know it's hard for some people to comprehend, but the reason the creedmoor works is because it's so easy. A guy like the OP can get a Kimber Montana and a box of shells over the counter and go shoot. No need to fire form brass or make sure your free bore is set up correctly or use a longer mag box or whatever. All of the stuff that most people on this forum don't think is a big deal, is a big deal and it is expensive and time consuming. Why mess with all that stuff to get a few more fps?
Dude, I was selling guns when all that short-action magnum stuff went down... It was dead before it every hit the market. All of them were. Folks would come in and ask what it was, we'd tell them it was just a short-action version of the regular magnums, and they would still rather buy the regular magnums.

If it wasn't for niche' shooters and wildcatters, the SAUM would have LONG gone the way of the Dodo bird. The WSM beat the SAUM in the SA Magnum wars, but it never really caught much traction until the last 8-10 years or so.

Not hard to comprehend what things REALLY are...At least, it used not to be for folks. Just because something works and works well, doesn't mean that it wasn't a huge marketing push to get you to buy one and buy into the hype. If they got your money, that's all they were after. Spreading the word, and raking in the cash and notoriety.

Last edited:
I'll own. 6.5-284 again someday. Still have a pile of lapua brass and kept my dies. But for this gun I might just do a creedmoor. Really the pros out weigh the cons.
Why no love for the 308? Just because 6.5 and 7 bullet bc is so much better? I would think a 165 accubond in a 308 would be a darn good load.
Much more recoil would be my reason not to choose it.

I've been playing around a bit here. I put my daughter in a 7-08. Good for everything.

Steve

I've thought that too. If it could just match 7mm08 performance it would sell. Fits a little better in a short action and it has the "creedmoor" bandwagon to push it along
If they would push the shoulder to 40º and give it slightly more case capacity, it shouldn't have a problem duplicating the 7mm-08 Rem. ;)

Unfortuatnley, the 7mm-08 is riding the struggle bus, but you slap the name "Creedmoor" behind it, and it will be the next raging success. Guarantee it. Especially if they load it with 168-175 grain Berger bullets.

Dude, I was selling guns when all that short-action magnum stuff went down... It was dead before it every hit the market. All of them were. Folks would come in and ask what it was, we'd tell them it was just a short-action version of the regular magnums, and they would still rather buy the regular magnums.

If it wasn't for niche' shooters and wildcatters, the SAUM would have LONG gone the way of the Dodo bird. The WSM beat the SAUM in the SA Magnum wars, but it never really caught much traction until the last 8-10 years or so.
Thanks, that was my point, lots of rounds come and go, the only ones that stick around are the ones that "work", and not many have had the success of the creedmoor. Maketing can only go so far, at some point the merits of the round have to stand on their own.

And who doesn't like the look of a steep shoulder and a long vld bullet sticking out:rolleyes:
I don't hate the 6.5CM because it really lacks anything, I hate the 6.5CM only because it became a trendy hipster cartridge... But since I've been mentioning the 7mm Creedmoor, if Hornady wants to give me a free one for the design and idea, I'll own it and shoot it. :cool:

I don't hate the 6.5CM because it really lacks anything, I hate the 6.5CM only because it became a trendy hipster cartridge... But since I've been mentioning the 7mm Creedmoor, if Hornady wants to give me a free one for the design and idea, I'll own it and shoot it. :cool:
Same here. I really like the creedmoor. It's just fun to go against the norm sometimes. And now days it's not hard. Say you want a 30-06 and people about lose their minds. Local gun shop was clearing out some old stock rifles for Black Friday and it's all 270, 7mm08, 308 and 30-06. And the 6.5 section keeps growing.

Thanks, that was my point, lots of rounds come and go, the only ones that stick around are the ones that "work", and not many have had the success of the creedmoor. Maketing can only go so far, at some point the merits of the round have to stand on their own.
Yeah, I know how the market works... I mean, you're making my point as well. Marketing can only go so far, but when it's pushed and pushed by people who's opinions that most folks know and trust, they look at it from a positive and inquisitive standpoint, instead of from a "what the hell are they trying to sell me now" type of standpoint. THey're more receptive to the idea, which then turns into want, which then turns into money exchanging hands. It's a simple concept.

If you really break it down, most of the popular cartridges were unnecessary in the private sector. The .300 WinMag is completely unnecessary... The .30-06 has been around since 1903, and the .300 Weatherby had been around since the 1940's. All 3 are long-actions, all 3 use the same bullets, and all 3 are just about as capable as each other. So, why is the .300WM so popular and the other 2 are less popular these days? Oh yeah, that's that marketing push from rifle manufacturers pushing certain guns in certain POPULAR configurations in certain calibers/cartridges... Yep, it's real. That's how they get you. What you THINK is your own desire comes from a pushed need for a certain type of gun, but it's only available in a cartridge you didn't know you needed before now... See what I mean?

MudRunner wait till my fav new 300 hits the streets running
The 300 PRC.....its way better than the 300 win mag ;) it's going leave all those other silly 300s in the dust !

A fellow only needs the two best cartridges on the planet the 6.5PRC & the 300 PRC :p
I know you're just trying to get me riled-up, but I just took 2 melatonin to go to sleep, so that's not happening right now... Maybe tomorrow. ;)

If the creedmoor was all marketing hype we would've stopped talking about it by now. The reason it's still all over the place is because it works, plain and simple.

It don't get no simpler than that and Hornady and their collaborative efforts with their partner(s) did a wonderful job in their marketing strategy execution and support implementation. To date, "I" have not met any 6.5 CM owners that dd not like theirs. And yes I own a 6.5 CM as well as the nostalgic 6.5x55 Swede that has around longer than our venerable .30-06.

There is always going to be naysayers despite the best intentions of any innovation presented before them. Hype or not, I welcome new choices, it's what America is all about. What we do with those choices are entirely up to us. It seems that there is so much energy spent against the 6.5 CM instead of accepting that it simply exist and deal with it ... no one is forcing anyone of us to buy and use them. Reminds me of the liberals spending so much time, energy, and money in destroying our country. :(

Freedom of choice is wonderful thing, especially when we have plenty of choices to choose from. Like it or not, believe it or not, creativity and innovation are the driving forces that moves this nation.

Cheers!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.