Help with bolt release

feelinducky

I'm trying to fit my own manners stock to a 700SA. The bolt release is still hung up on something and will not release the bolt. Initially the bolt release would not even move so I slowly filed down where it was hitting and got it to move. But now I'm stuck and don't want to remove any more stock. Any suggestions?

I have a similar issue when installing a Jewell trigger on a 700. It binds on the stock, but it can be moved so so far I've not done anything to fix it until I have a need to disassemble the rifle. Did you have any issues when using it in the factory stock?

JE nailed it. Usually the guilty spot. Careful application of a jewelers file will relieve the binding. If the filed area is metal, some flat paint will cover.

JE nailed it. Usually the guilty spot. Careful application of a jewelers file will relieve the binding. If the filed area is metal, some flat paint will cover.

Assuming it was ok with the factory stock [if there was one] it would seem that the Manners unit had the trigger guard slot and/or guard screw holes slightly misaligned.

Assuming it was ok with the factory stock [if there was one] it would seem that the Manners unit had the trigger guard slot and/or guard screw holes slightly misaligned.

Like has been posted on this forum, most stocks are manufactured to fit all versions of action in a particular model. The inletting isn't perfect and from time to time something binds. Unfortunate a premium price stock isn't perfect, but a little bind happens. Many fit perfectly. Usually the bolt release problem occurs with the installation of an aftermarket trigger.

Like has been posted on this forum, most stocks are manufactured to fit all versions of action in a particular model. The inletting isn't perfect and from time to time something binds. Unfortunate a premium price stock isn't perfect, but a little bind happens. Many fit perfectly. Usually the bolt release problem occurs with the installation of an aftermarket trigger.

Yep. A drop fit is no guarantee of a good fit. I had an older H S Precision stock that was a drop fit, but a slop fit. When the rifle recoiled it slammed against the recoil lug slot hard enough to leave screw thread marks in the holes in the aluminum bedding block. Over a year ago, I had a smith install the stock on a new rifle and he said the screw holes in the bedding block were screwed up and crooked or off center.
Awhile back I bought a stainless floorplate from PTG for a Rem 700. The slot in the floorplate was too narrow for the mag follower spring to fit into. I had about $25 in S & H in the thing, but they did fix it and return it. I wonder how many of them in that production run were messed up.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.