Help with a rebarrel question

rsbhunter

I have a Rem. 700 LSS in the 300 RUM caliber.While accuracy is ok, it is just ok......Thinking about having a kreiger SS # 8 contour barrel, fluted and having the action, lugs, threads, etc accurized. Also putting on a Vais muzzle brake, as the one i have now is great....NOW for my question, is the caliber capable opf 1000 yd accuracy (6-8 in groups) if i'm capable? Don't want to try to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.This will be for hunting and range time, informal.....Thanks for any and all feedback...rsbhunter

With that right bullets and the right load development/reloading process , yes , that round is capible of that kind of accuracy. Tat being said the heavier 338 cal bullets will have higher BC's and a bit more down range thump , this is the reason for the recient movement toward the 338 Edge.

rsbhunter, Many a 300 RUM has thrown lead to 1000+ yards. Big heavy bullets with high BC's and it should get there in fine shape.

As a note if the Kreiger #8 is much larger of a taper than a Lilja #7 the sides of your barrel channel will be pretty thin. The sides of my barrel channel are pointed (used to be flat) with a #7 Lilja and I don't have a ton of room around the barrel and its a LSS stock.

rebarrel 338

Didn't think of the stock angle, is there a barrel contour that will be better..wanting something that will aid accuracy and be a bit heavier..the barrel length will be 27 in w/o muzzle brake..fluting should remove about half a pound.....thanks for any info...

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.