savage 111 rebarrel help

beakus33

can anybody sugest a good economical barrel for a savage 111? i would like a heavier barrel,fluting and a muzzle break is an option.

The E.R. Shaw barrels have a decent reputation and they're cheap.

I think a Shilen, PacNor, Brux, Kreiger, among others would be better but also more expensive.

Economy,flutting and muzzle breaks dont often get used in the same question=Lots of machineing.

Bought a Shaw 6.5-284 sporter barrel for the Axis from these guys. It shoots alright but is a little rough=Kinda like buying a factory Savage barrel?
Carefull buying savage barrels........ It can be addicting:D

Might want to check with Northlander,Sinarms and Gun Shack to see what they have available.

You should be able to find savage drop in shilen barrels prechambered on line for like $270.00. T think I have seen douglas fro around the same price also.

Stainless are little more.

Economy,flutting and muzzle breaks dont often get used in the same question=Lots of machineing.

Bought a Shaw 6.5-284 sporter barrel for the Axis from these guys. It shoots alright but is a little rough=Kinda like buying a factory Savage barrel?
Carefull buying savage barrels........ It can be addicting:D

Might want to check with Northlander,Sinarms and Gun Shack to see what they have available.
I guess i sould add a little info, i'm a machinest, mill supervisor at a aerospace machine shop so the fluting and drilling isnt a big deal i can do that at the shop ( a little goverment work),i just want a good base to start with. i guess i dont really know the grades of barrel works. is plane blued a mild steel?i know stainless but are they 15/5 or 17/4, are they all chromed?, do they need to be?how does a growned end help? my theory in life is " i can make anything give enough time and money".

Not to demean you or sound insulting but there is a bit more to barrel modifications than exists in most job shops. Maybe not machine wise but certainly experience wise.

I own a machine shop and I'd never undertake something like that because of the experience level involved. Why fock up a barrel when there are reasonably priced ones out there that require no modification on your part and a 0 percent fock up rate.....

I'm all about making stuff myself. I build live steam engines for a hobby, for relaxiation. Not barrels.....:) Stick with experienced builders. If you want to make firearm related items, reload your ammo.

Again not trying to demean you, just offering a suggestion.

I under stand your point, i dont undertake anything i dont fully understand, or figure about 3 differant ways to do( or get myself out of).but i look at it like if somebidy else can do so can i, im willing to try and learn , i take the good with the bad.thats why you own the shop and i'd be the one running the machines. No intentions ment.

I you are going the route of a barrel blank, I would go with Lothar Walther. It's German stainless which is 550 vs US stainless that is 416. I have been very pleased with my barrel. It is very accurate. May want to go that route. E.R. Shaw is going to be your cheapest option.

Criterion barrels made by Kreiger is the way I would go these days. Over the years I have shot pretty much everyone's without too many issues except from one company in Montana.
Jim at Northland is top of the line in my book and in stock Kreiger barrel for $250. sure has my attention.

Contact Information for NSS:
E-mail - [email protected] (that is Q.com not G.com)
Phone - 763/682-4296
Fax - 763/682-6098
Mailing address:
PO Box 333
Buffalo, MN 55313

Jim Briggs
NSS

Beakus are you set up for precision stress relieving at your shop?

Criterion barrels made by Kreiger is the way I would go these days. Over the years I have shot pretty much everyone's without too many issues except from one company in Montana.
Jim at Northland is top of the line in my book and in stock Kreiger barrel for $250. sure has my attention.

Phone - 763/682-4296
Fax - 763/682-6098
Mailing address:
PO Box 333
Buffalo, MN 55313

Jim Briggs
NSS

No,we dont do it in house we outsorce to a couple of place that have to on boeing's cert.list. One less hassle for us to mess with.

Phone - 763/682-4296
Fax - 763/682-6098
Mailing address:
PO Box 333
Buffalo, MN 55313

Jim Briggs
NSS

Another vote for Jim. He can set you up with what you need at a great price.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.