help with 7mm RM factory bullets

bstomper

Im looking for some help as to which factory ammo I should be looking at for shooting out to further distance past 500 yards with my 7mm RM.
Its a winchester model 70 stainless, 1/9.5" twist, with a bushnell 3200 3-9x40.(vortex viper hst to come soon) I have been shooting to 500 yards with the remington core lokt 150gr and hitting a 10" gong consistently but I haven't shot paper that far so I have no idea where the grouiping is. Im guessing with the low bc of the core lokt it's probably not that great and is gonna get worse the further out I get. so Im looking for some direction as to which factory ammo to look at that might help me get some decent groups further out. What do you suggets I try so i don't wast too much money trying to guess myself.

The best Berger in the world, against an average flat based soft point; will have no appreciable drop differences out to around that 4-500 yard mark.

The ammo you "should" use, is the ammo that groups well. If you've been happy with the core-lokt, stay the course.

If the rifle likes something, you are comfortable, and have the ability; ignore what other people think you should/could do.

which factory ammo does best in your rifle is a guess . for sure at longer range the bergers 140, 168 and 180 will do better especially with the wind. trying it gets as expensive compared to reloading.

The core lokt works best out of the stuff I've tried but I was told out to the further distances that I want to start shooting , 600+, the accuracy will quickly drop. I'm new to this long range hunting stuff and I am just learning so please bear with me. I will try the core lokts out to the further distances to see what it will do. My gun sure does like it out to 400 yards

When someone tells you a flat base isn't "accurate" at distance, what they mean is they don't know how to shoot.
ALL bullets are simple functions of drag & drop. As long as you know how to adjust properly, AND the bullet had sufficient speed to properly operate; it's just a matter of tastes.

Do you want to dial for more drop? Is wind a significant concern? Does the bullets in question have enough velocity? Do they group tight enough for the intended purpose?

Do not take ANYONES "word for it", test for yourself. What is the launch velocity from your rifle? Only a good chrono gets trusted, not a book, not the box, not a mentor. Put that number in a good ballistic calc, along with atmosphere when you shot. Do the work and fill in YOUR range card, with your specific dope.

I was doing some Trans-sonic testing yesterday. Normally in Painless my 175 SMK's stay supersonic past 1k. With the air yesterday, they wouldn't. So, there cannot ever be " A" answer; just testing and verification.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.