7mm RM brass

bpcrshooter

So I have been using WW brass for a long time but now its getting hard to get so I read how good nosler was and got some. Out of the box it looks great, in fact beautiful. I put them on the scale and WW was 232.4 grains and nosler was 214.6 grains, I thought nosler was thicker?? Didn't really seem to change POI much just seems weird being that light, any thoughts

With that much less weight in the Nosler brass you should have seen a noticeable drop in velocity (due to a larger combustion chamber). Did you check that? I've used a lot of Nosler brass over the years and never heard anything about its thickness relative to other brass. That doesn't matter much but the consistency of the thickness (the case weight) and the metallurgy does matter.

Winchester brass is harder than others per a metallurgical analysis I saw (Rem brass is among the softest and others somewhere in the middle). Even though Win brass typically has a 5 grain weight spread in a box/bag of brass (where Nosler is 1 grain) Win brass is tough and primer pockets tend to last longer so I don't mind using it. It does work harden faster so annealing may need to be done more often with Winchester brass. Win brass is cheap enough that you can buy a bunch of it and weight sort it into lots to get the equivalent of Nosler brass but it is tougher. The problem I've had with Win brass until recently is finding any to buy. Bottom line either can be made to work and I have a bunch of both. I find I'm getting lazy in my old age so I tend to lean toward Nosler these days.

I didn't run them across the crono I just shot at 100 to see how they performed with the same load and it hit about 1/2in low with no signs of pressure. with a 162 eld I am getting 3125-3140 with the win brass so even if I lose a lil bit I will still be ok. or I could bump them up a bit I suppose????

The latest batches of ww brass I bought won't hold primers well after 2 or 3 firings and my nosler brass is up around 8.I always preferred ww,but the last 200 I bought seems almost as bad as hornady brass.Not disagreeing just my experience in my rifles I use ww brass in and all brass was purchased new in last 5 months.I have some older ww brass that is just fine.This is in 300 win,and 7mag that I can comment on and pretty stiff loads

I didn't run them across the crono I just shot at 100 to see how they performed with the same load and it hit about 1/2in low with no signs of pressure. with a 162 eld I am getting 3125-3140 with the win brass so even if I lose a lil bit I will still be ok. or I could bump them up a bit I suppose????

7mm Rem Mag, you're getting 3100 plus with a 162 ELDX? What's your recipe?

P

I am by no way saying this will be safe in YOUR rifle....................

my load is 74.5grains of H1000, I have a 28in brux 1-9 twist barrel is brand new, maybe has 40rds thru it. Brass is about 3 firings sometimes I can get 4 but usually I can put the primers in with my thumb and use them for sighters.

In my 300 winny I am up to 81 so far of H1000 with a 200gr eld/nosler AB. and Im at a tick below 3k

At 75gr w/ 162 signs of pressure show up in WW brass, and in rem brass the primers blow out so its pretty much max in my test rifle. I haven't gone that high in my rifle with the 28in tube.

This was from a new CHRONY chrono so maybe its a lil happy maybe not.

So I have been using WW brass for a long time but now its getting hard to get so I read how good nosler was and got some. Out of the box it looks great, in fact beautiful. I put them on the scale and WW was 232.4 grains and nosler was 214.6 grains, I thought nosler was thicker?? Didn't really seem to change POI much just seems weird being that light, any thoughts

Nosler will be more consistent in weight and concentricity, which will lead to more consistent shooting.

I have some brand new WW 7mm RemMag brass sitting in a ziplock bag I got in a trade. It just sits in the sealed ammo can for a rainy day. For my belted magnums, I pretty much only use Nosler brass. I have found it to last longer and produce more consistent results.

I am by no way saying this will be safe in YOUR rifle....................

my load is 74.5grains of H1000, I have a 28in brux 1-9 twist barrel is brand new, maybe has 40rds thru it. Brass is about 3 firings sometimes I can get 4 but usually I can put the primers in with my thumb and use them for sighters.

In my 300 winny I am up to 81 so far of H1000 with a 200gr eld/nosler AB. and Im at a tick below 3k

At 75gr w/ 162 signs of pressure show up in WW brass, and in rem brass the primers blow out so its pretty much max in my test rifle. I haven't gone that high in my rifle with the 28in tube.

This was from a new CHRONY chrono so maybe its a lil happy maybe not.

Roger the safety. I'm maxed at 72, and found accuracy at 69.5, all H1000. 24" barrel.

P

Nosler will be more consistent in weight and concentricity, which will lead to more consistent shooting.

Absolutely!!! and it is I was just under the impression that it was a thicker brass. I will probably leave the load alone, as it kicks enough!!
I get between 3,100-3,200 with a Berger 168 VLD in my 7mmRM with a 26" barrel and IMR 7828 SSC

I did try 7828ssc and 7828 and it shot well, I just dont like the temp swings that you can get with it an I can get damm close to the same velocity with h1000.. .. but hey thats why they make sooooo many powders right :D

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.