Help with Factory Ammo Choice

Cray7614

I have a 6.5 Creedmoor, and I'm wanting some help in choosing a a factory ammo to shoot first.

First- Hornady Custom Match 140 grain

Second- Nosler Match Grade 140 grain

That was my thought to buy both, is there a factory bullet out there that would be good for hunting and target shooting at longer ranges?

I have a 6.5 Creedmoor, and I'm wanting some help in choosing a a factory ammo to shoot first.

First- Hornady Custom Match 140 grain

Second- Nosler Match Grade 140 grain
From what I can tell, the Nosler Match 140 RDF would be a better target bullet, but have not heard or seen anything about the game performance. I know it's a "target" bullet, but I have heard great things about their Nosler Custom Comp bullets working just fine on game, and the RDF is basically a sleeker more refined Custom Comp bullet. Judging by other Nosler factory loaded ammo, I'd assume it would be true match-quality as far as consistency and quality. Not to mention the high-quality Nosler brass for when you do reload.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1...40-grain-rdf-hollow-point-boat-tail-box-of-20

I have been shooting the hornady 147 eld m in my custom 6.5 and it's shooting great. Performs perfect on game also. I took a very large scimitar horned oryx form 160 yards with no problem.

I have about 10 boxes of Hornady ELD-M 140 gr. because my Ruger Precision Rifle loves it. That's why I haven't tried anything else.

And I have a box of 140 gr. ELD-M bullets for reloading. I'm sure I'll find the right load of H4350 for those pills.
Howsomever... I also have a box of 129 gr. Nosler Accu Bond I bought on a whim. We'll see how those do.

I think Berger Hybrid bullets are still the favorite of competitors who hand load, which is most of them. 130 gr. is Berger's new favorite

Everything I have fed to mine shoots well...very well actually. I began working up loads when I foist got the rifle, It was just too close to hunting time to get everything dialed in, I thought. So Bought a box of A-Max 140 online and the then newly available 140 ELD-M and 143 ELD-X too. The results were so impressive with all of them that I have never developed that load. LOL there is just no reason to improve my clover-leaf groups

I have a Kimber Montana 6.5 Creedmoor and the Hornady ELD-M 120gr shoots cloverleaf holes for me, also the Hornady 143gr ELD-X is about the same in my rifle.
I find every rifle is different, my son and son in law both have 7mm-08 with 22" benchmark barrels one of them loves Nosler Trophy Grade 140gr accubonds and the other loves Hornady 139gr GMX ?

Last edited:
Yep you may get lucky with factory. My friend bought a .243 and all the reloading components. While getting it broke in we found it shot the Winchester combined tech 95 gr so well you could shoot a 5 shot and cover it with a nickel. Lol sometimes you just get lucky. I told him forget reloading. Worst part is it's out of a savage axis with nothing done to it. He like to drag it out to the range when everyone brings out full customs to rub it in.

Yep you may get lucky with factory. My friend bought a .243 and all the reloading components. While getting it broke in we found it shot the Winchester combined tech 95 gr so well you could shoot a 5 shot and cover it with a nickel. Lol sometimes you just get lucky. I told him forget reloading. Worst part is it's out of a savage axis with nothing done to it. He like to drag it out to the range when everyone brings out full customs to rub it in.

I got a used savage axis in 25-06 and sold it to my dad. He went out and.bout some federal fuzions and it shoots 3 shots touching on a regular basis. It shoots too good for what it is lol.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.