Help Please Mag length vs chamber length

bigbulls

I just received a new 300 win. mag. that is a good friends new rifle that he wanted for some long range shooting. My job is to come up with a good load for this gun. I ordered what I have been reading on here for components 215 gr Berger hybrids. Problem- this gun has a 3.3925" magazine max length to cycle and the chamber length to the lands is 3.6590" I was working with some dummy loads for length to see what would feed and using the 215 gr Berger the bullet was seated so deep it would push in easy with just a little pressure on the tip of nose. Also if I go with a shorter bullet to seat better, my jump will be .2665" that seems like a lot to me. Where am I going wrong in my thinking here. Thanks for any help

I would say shape of your bullet would be a factor. If the ogive of the bullet starts closer to the tip of the bullet then you could seat it at the same coal and have a shorter jump to lands

Looks like the longer boatail and shorter bearing surface of the 215 Hybrid added to your short magazine are conspiring against you. Check out the new Berger Quick Reference Sheet to find a more suitable bullet. The Berger manual doesn't list the 215 Hybrid, but they are showing 3.340" COAL on 210s & 230s. I am assuming you can't add a Wyatts extended box. The 210 vld might work for you?????????

Looks like the longer boatail and shorter bearing surface of the 215 Hybrid added to your short magazine are conspiring against you. Check out the new Berger Quick Reference Sheet to find a more suitable bullet. The Berger manual doesn't list the 215 Hybrid, but they are showing 3.340" COAL on 210s & 230s. I am assuming you can't add a Wyatts extended box. The 210 vld might work for you?????????

Thanks dok I will check out the measurments of the 210 vld

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.