Help planning our 2014 Wyoming Muley/Antelope hunt please???

shortpants

We are looking for a DIY Muley/Antelope combo hunt for 2014 in Wyoming. Just looking for help with the logistics not looking for any honey holes. I have hunted region K and region W in the past couple of years and am leaning on returning to K. The only other area that I'm thinking might suit us well is region H. Most of us will have 2 points going into the 2014 draw. I'll have 3 and a couple more with just 1. There are 10 of us in the group coming from 3 different states (AZ,WI,MN). Some of us are interested in doe tags for deer and antelope as well. Are there usually any available in these areas? We are thinking of just driving bringing a couple of wall tents and stopping for groceries up there somewhere. It seems to be much cheaper than flying, renting 4x4's and paying for either hotels or a drop camp. What do you guys think? We are starting seperate kitties for each state to save for it. Each group has their own needs so to keep it simple we decided to do it that way. For my group we figure $1200 per Vehicle for fuel (2 Trucks) and approx. $1200 for groceries for a total of $3600 divided amongst 5 of us is $720 each or $40 a month. THATS A GOOD DEAL!!! We are however open to the idea of flying if it is not to much more but I doubt it. Does anybody know if it is possible to rent camp trailers or wall tents/stove/chairs etc. in any of these areas? Cabin rental? We are talking about staying 2 weeks. We can go to town for showers when needed for not much. Oh by the way we all fly free so that is not a worry.

We greatly welcome any advise on planning such an adventure for such a large group. Feel free to send me a PM.

Thanks guys,
Jason

I have realized that putting in for regional tags with 3 pts is a waste so I'm looking at limited entry hunts now. Anybody have any suggestions? A few in the group are kids and a few more aren't to picky. A few of us myself included are willing to hunt hard for a solid 160+ muley and mid 70's class antelope. Right now I'm leaning on limited entry deer in 34 or 37. What do you guys think?

I have Hunted Northeast Wyoming for 25 years, The past two years have been tough on the deer. lions, drought and disease. where we would see 100 deer a day, we are seeing 15 to 20! The state is issuing less doe tags now.
I'm not sure about the aera you will hunt, check with the Fish and Game department. There is talk about a 66% increase in license fees for 2014. you have untill March 15 to apply for this year. good luck in your planning!

Thanks for the reply. I heard price increases are going to hit in 2015 but can't confirm that. I know the animals up there are really struggling lately. I'm afraid it will continue to get worse. Our group is already invested in this and determined to make the best of our muley/antelope adventure and then move on to the next adventure. We will average out to 2+ PP per hunter so there's not many choices but like I said we are going to make the best of it.

Feel free to share your experiences on what has worked or not worked for you guys when planning out of state group hunts. Do you guys fly? Where do you sleep? What do you eat? What resources besides game and fish do you utilize for info for a hunt. I'll post this topic under general discussions I guess since it is just that.

Thanks guys, love hearing and learning from your experiences!
Jason

All the license fee increase Bills failed in committee over the last several weeks and under Wyoming statute no further Bills can be introduced during this Legislative session. That means anything brought before the Legislature next year, and I'm sure there will be, won't take effect at the earliest until the 2015 seasons.

That's good news, two more seasons to go! The upside to the whitetails dying is we were seeing more mule deer last fall. we used to get motel rooms and drive to the ranch we hunt, now we stay in a camper right on the ranch. three guys some times four. all from Wisconsin. around 800 miles one way. We have been hunting the same ranch for over twenty years. Its been a blast!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.