Help picking the wife’s new elk rig

Well what does she shoot, I'm dying here in suspense

Her "only" hunting rifle since 1995…..Win. Model 70, SS, (Winchester's cheap Mattel stock) in .338 WM. Sock cut and fitted for her, with a Pachmyar Decellerator recoil pad, 9 pounds 0 ounces (scoped, loaded, slung) no break as she hates brakes!

She shoots it very little from the bench, where recoil would quickly become an issue! But, is very effective with it in the field….which is what "hunting" rifle are designed for! 😉 memtb

LOL! Stay on your course. This is why "I" never ask what rifle to build or buy. 🤣
Eve
Her "only" hunting rifle since 1995…..Win. Model 70, SS, (Winchester's cheap Mattel stock) in .338 WM. Sock cut and fitted for her, with a Pachmyar Decellerator recoil pad, 9 pounds 0 ounces (scoped, loaded, slung) no break as she hates brakes!

She shoots it very little from the bench, where recoil would quickly become an issue! But, is very effective with it in the field….which is what "hunting" rifle are designed for! 😉 memtb
Gotta love it, a woman who finds what is effective for her needs and goes for it.

My wife and I shortly after meeting went on a date to the gun club. At the time I wasn't a bullseye shooter. She wouldn't shoot first, so I grabbed my 1911 45 and shot 8 rds in center mass of the target to break the ice. She grabbed her HK USP45 in stainless (she still has it) ran a full mag and the x was gone. I was drooling (over her, the gun, and her skills). My wife at 5'1.5" and 100 lbs handled it awesome.

I love it when a woman doesn't think that a gun may be to much for them and shoots the gun like it is nothing

I shoot a 7mm WSM loaded down to 2850 fps with 168 gr. VLD Bergers. It is a Browning Mountain Ti at 5.5 lb rifle bare, and 6.5 with scope and sling. It has DRT kills fon elk (and everything else) out to 340 yards. It still has 1974 ft-lbs of energy at 500 yards (at 7000 ft. elev.). How far do you want to shoot? I'd be comfortable with 1500 ft-lbs., which takes me out to 790 yards. Further than I would shoot.

If I had it to do over again, I might go with a .270 WSM. Cases are easier to find, the neck is longer, and now quaility bullets are available. The difference between .277 and .284 won't be felt by the elk.

I'm a nerd, I've done the computer work, to the best of my abilities, on cartridges using Nosler bullets and Nosler load data. This is one of the reasons why I said I was leaning toward the 7 RM in the original post. It's also why we got into the 6.5 PRC in the first place, I'm a numbers guy and it seemed like a great cartridge, and I have zero doubt that it will kill an elk. I just haven't been able to get the desired results yet. I've tried three different powders (Retumbo, H1000 and Magnum) with 150 gr Nosler ABLR and tried factory Hornady Precision Hunter and haven't found a load with good velocity and accuracy. I just ordered some 124gr Hammer Hunters, and they may change my mind about the cartridge.
How far does your wife want to shoot? My son is running the 124 HH in his 6.5 PRC right at 3,400 fps. It'll easily out-penetrate my 7-LRM running 180 Hybrids at 3k... (we've proven it) If she's shooting beyond 600 yds, the balance starts to shift...

My thoughts would lean toward the 7 SAUM or the 6.8 Western. For keeping the rifle light and short, those shorter efficient cases will give you the gas "with a smaller tank"... So many options...that's the good thing. :) I'm sure you'll find something she's happy with. And if not, you get to build or buy another one. 🤠

Last edited:
My wife is currently shooting a CA Mesa in 6.5 PRC. It's a fine gun, but a little heavy and I think the 6.5 PRC is a little on the weak side for elk. It's a fine cartridge, but I find myself pushing it really hard to get to the energy levels that I think (which maybe isn't true) are necessary.

My wife isn't particularly recoil sensitive, but no one likes getting beat up behind the trigger. For reference, she shoots my suppressed Fierce .28 Nosler and Weatherby Vanguard 30-06 without issue.

So she's in the market for a lighter rifle, that has just a little more horsepower. She always picks the rifle and I always pick the cartridge. She likes the traditional stock of her CA, so the new CA FFT is at the top of our list. We are leaning toward a shorter rifle suppressed with a K can for recoil mitigation. I'm thinking something in the 20-22 inch barrel with a 4-6 inch suppressor would be ideal.

Our price range is $2200 or less.

So here's the questions:
Which cartridge should I be looking at?

Currently kicking around the 7 RM, .280 AI, 7 SAUM and maybe the .300wsm. I'm leaning toward the 7 RM, because I can find loads toward the minimum powder charges that satisfy the power needs for elk out of a 20 inch barrel, but I have room to move up in power if necessary.

What other rifles should I have her try out? Keep in mind she likes a tradition stock and weight is crucial. She has tried Kimbers but the trigger is to long of a reach for her hands. She's not fond of Tikkas or Brownings.

Thanks in advance!
28 ai or 7RM

1663508015833.png

I do not want to assume anything or misconstrue your point, but can you please elaborate?

If you're keeping the shots at close to moderate ranges, I'd take a serious look at the 35 whelen. It can be loaded very close to 338 win mag levels with less recoil. Nosler lists their 225 accubond at 2800 with a max charge of varget. I've gotten very similar results as theirs with this combination.