Help me judge this AZ bull

View attachment 396271View attachment 396273View attachment 396274View attachment 396276

Here's your pictures, sorry I've been holding out on you guys but I didn't want to show this bull until he was down. Been watching him since the day after I started this thread. We were set up to hunt this bull this morning and found him pretty early. He was at the top of the ridge for the first time since I've been watching him, mixing it up with a good 6x. We were happy to wait for him to come back down and into range but before that happened another hunter topped out on the ridge and lucked into a bull of a lifetime at likely less than 100yds. Watched them packing him out during the afternoon and got rained out so we went and intercepted them on the road so we could look at him close up. To my eyes it looks like that bull has to hit 390. It stings to watch someone else kill an animal you've put time into. Tomorrow morning we'll likely go check on that spot again depending on conditions. There were other good bulls in there.

I've been following this thread waiting to see this bull and I'm sorry to hear that. I was thinking man they should have him down with pics soon and it popped in my head you either had him down packing him out or someone got to him first. But hopefully you can find another good one for your grandpa. I waited for 13 years for my antelope buck tag in Colorado watched a buck for 2 months and opening morning couldn't find him finally found him and missed at 523 yards. I was so pumped when I laid down I didn't think about the tall grass.

View attachment 396271View attachment 396273View attachment 396274View attachment 396276

Here's your pictures, sorry I've been holding out on you guys but I didn't want to show this bull until he was down. Been watching him since the day after I started this thread. We were set up to hunt this bull this morning and found him pretty early. He was at the top of the ridge for the first time since I've been watching him, mixing it up with a good 6x. We were happy to wait for him to come back down and into range but before that happened another hunter topped out on the ridge and lucked into a bull of a lifetime at likely less than 100yds. Watched them packing him out during the afternoon and got rained out so we went and intercepted them on the road so we could look at him close up. To my eyes it looks like that bull has to hit 390. It stings to watch someone else kill an animal you've put time into. Tomorrow morning we'll likely go check on that spot again depending on conditions. There were other good bulls in there.
What unit are you guys hunting?

Oh man. What a bummer.

X2 on boning out meat to cool it.

I hunted antelope south of the Grand Canyon, and they tasted terrible. Someone donated one to me in NM and it stayed in the ice chest without ice for 36 hours without ice (I was younger and dumber then). It was some of the best meat I've ever eaten.

I helped a guy pack out a bull once and offered to show him how to bone it out. He had quartered it and left it on top of some logs. It had been out for 3 hours at below freezing. When we boned it out, it was still warm near the bones.

Getting the hide off quickly is a priority for me. But, I've killed elk that I couldn't recover until the next day, and they tasted fine. But with javelina, getting the hide and musk gland off right away is critical.

When you intercepted them on the road with the bull did you take a pic of it?

Guess we'll never know what that original bull would have scored, we shot this guy Saturday morning.

IMG_8441.jpg

20220924_113242.jpg

IMG958444.jpg

20220924_072049(0).jpg

Grandpa shot him at 1030 yards with my 28 nosler loaded with 184 gr burgers. Shout out to Ckgworks for sending those out to me in time for grandpa's hunt, made all the difference! Normally wouldn't have shot that far but the conditions were absolutely perfect for taking a long shot. No wind at all, tripod mounted rangefinder binos, gun mounted to a heavy tripod, and grandpa wanted him. First shot took him threw the lungs but we had grandpa continue shooting until he went down. He died in our glass and rolled down the hill. Ended up having 1 berger threw the lungs and 2 threw the neck. Those 184s performed great imo with a golf ball exit in the chest and no exits on the neck I think due to the thickness of the cape there. Overall a great hunt and a great day for gramps. It might not be the giant I wanted to put him on but he couldn't be happier with the day and . So grateful to everyone that came out and helped on this one. Couldnt have made that shot without them nor could we have retrieved him .
20220924_072614.jpg

Attachments

• 20220924_071857.jpg
    20220924_071857.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 45