Help on judging elk

Using the length of the horns to nose is really good for judging the lower brow tines, if the brows are out to the end of his nose, shoot! I also look for main beams that go past the shoulder. Also that the 4th and 5th aren't bunched up, they should be spaced out indicating better main beam length.

This is good advice, if the 1st and 2nd are out to or gasp, beyond the nose- you've got a bull that you should shoot without thinking about it. Take a look at the bulls that come out of the area you will be hunting by looking at outfitter's web pages or surfing the net. That should give you a good idea what kind of genetics you'll be looking at. Where I hunt, the elk are known for having weak 3rds, sometimes they don't even grow thirds on one side or both.

Also keep in mind that any elk is a trophy, even a a cow for a lot of people.

This is good advice, if the 1st and 2nd are out to or gasp, beyond the nose- you've got a bull that you should shoot without thinking about it. Take a look at the bulls that come out of the area you will be hunting by looking at outfitter's web pages or surfing the net. That should give you a good idea what kind of genetics you'll be looking at. Where I hunt, the elk are known for having weak 3rds, sometimes they don't even grow thirds on one side or both.

Also keep in mind that any elk is a trophy, even a a cow for a lot of people.

You must hunt near me, it is dang near impossible to find good thirds. In my area I scan the brows but really look hard at the thirds, my boss has a bull on the wall that everyone guesses at 320 because he is so symmetrical but he has like 8in thirds, he's 298.
I find it easier to look for where a bull is weak, I take a quick look at his over all and say give him a 330 then I scrutinize and deduct inches for weakness rather than guessing 330 and let him grow to 350.gun)

the longer the better,
the fruther back they extent, prefered,
wider the rack optional but recomended.
and the real trick is to shoot him after you have measured him.
if it looks like it has points all over the place like a giant red stag.
(d.e.d.) dead elk down.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.