help!!!! deviation in fps. I need advice

"The Magnetospeed may get you to your end results a little faster but real life bullet holes in a target will always be your best results. "

Yes. BUT.....I can't get out to the 1,000 yard range very often and shooting small groups at 100 yards doesn't make a long range load without a low ES. At times I've even loaded 8 rounds of a particular load just to get a 3 or 4 shot average because the chrono might not register or spits out some crazy number. I'd rather pull bullets than come home with no answer. I have yet to get an unrecorded or unbelievable number from the Magneto. It really helps me for short range testing for a long range load if that makes sense.

Thank you all for all the feed back, I haven't turned the necks on these yet so I will do that before I test again. But I will probably go back to the bergers, I got a wild hair for a fast light coyote load but I'm wasting to much time and money doing so, Tha k you all again I got good info from yall!!!

I have found that some loads/powders just are not as efficient as others.

Example: My usual H1000 load gives me ~ 12 fps ES. H1000 has been somewhat hard to find (for me) and I came across Retumbo. It is close in burn speed and using the same brass, primers and bullets I has an ES of 38 fps. I double weigh it etc...
Retumbo is great powder but for some reason H1000 burns/preforms better in my 300.
Even OAL can through off your fps.

Agreed. There is nothing generally wrong with the amax and frankly more of my guns shoot them consistently than the bergers, but some gun load combos just don't like certain things.

"The Magnetospeed may get you to your end results a little faster but real life bullet holes in a target will always be your best results. "

Yes. BUT.....I can't get out to the 1,000 yard range very often and shooting small groups at 100 yards doesn't make a long range load without a low ES. At times I've even loaded 8 rounds of a particular load just to get a 3 or 4 shot average because the chrono might not register or spits out some crazy number. I'd rather pull bullets than come home with no answer. I have yet to get an unrecorded or unbelievable number from the Magneto. It really helps me for short range testing for a long range load if that makes sense.
You don't have to. If you can get out to 400-500 yds or better yet verify at several ranges out to 500 it will give you the information you need.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.