Help Deciding on "Budget" Rifle & Scope for Once in a lifetime Elk tag (narrowed down list)

I think you made a great choice with the 300 wsm, very nice elk cartridge. Of course theres no doubt the prc would have worked as well. Another scope choice not sure if anyone mentioned, the razor hd lht, same weight as the vx5hd and with a locking turret. Also can be had for 750 right now. I have to send my vx5 back to leupold, spot on the lense... i may be switching it to the hd lht, still not sure yet. Cant go wrong with either choice in rifles as well, both are nice. I just picked up a tikka roughtech and it is nice but a few ounces heavier than a regular t3x lite. My choice would be t3x stainless topped with a vx5hd or the hdlht. Congrats on drawing the hunt of a lifetime!

All of the Vanguard Weatherby's and they come in a lot of non-Wby chamberings (eg. 300Win, needmore, other real 6.5s, etc.. : ) seem to be 1/2 moa shooters and pretty reasonably priced. Some are (the RC's) not so reasonable, but many in the $500-$800 range. V4 Zeiss is an awesome scope for the price.
The Weatherby Vanguard line is made by Howa, it is a 1500 and they are very well made.

I thought long and hard about 300wsm. I just feel like the 6.5PRC would be more enjoyable to shoot for me. Plus I don't plan on hunting elk very often. This is my first and only elk tag I can get for North Dakota. I am sending in for Wyoming but where I wanna go it takes 7-8 years and I'm only 21/2 years into sending in. So for muley, whitetail, and this elk. I feel like the 6.5prc will work well. Especially under 500 yards.
If you're set on that caliber use monolithic bullets like Barnes TTSX, you will want to retain as much bullet weight as possible. Elk are thick critters!

So I just found out that I drew a North Dakota Elk Tag which is a once in a lifetime tag (literally can only get one in your lifetime). I have been going over everything I need... which is a lot of gear (lightweight camo, new pack, spotting scope, rangefinder) so I am trying to keep costs down. I am big into archery hunting whitetails but also have shot plenty of rifle in my life. I figured this is a good opportunity to get a new rifle setup as I also have a Wyoming muley tag that I will be guaranteed for but I will put it off for a year after hearing this news.

I narrowed the rifle choices to these three:
1. Tikka lite veil wideland 6.5PRC
2. Tikka lite Roughtech 6.5PRC
3. Christensen Arms Mesa 6.5PRC

I cant imagine I will be shooting an elk past 400 yards. But I do like to go shoot gongs out to around 800-1000 yards. Also I know Tikka's are just coming out with the 6.5PRC but I have heard of a few shops who have gotten them already so I would think it wouldn't take too long to get one. I have had both the tikka and the Christenson in my hands. I like both, I prefer the tikka action. But feel they are pretty comparable, besides Christensen having a better stock. I know I can get all of them for close to the same price. I like the fact the both the wideland and mesa are cerakoted.

Scope Choices:
Athlon Helos BTR GEN2 4-20×50 APLR6 FFP IR MOA
Athlon Midas BTR GEN2 4.5-27×50 AHMR SFP IR MOA HD
Vortex Strike Eagle 5-25x56 EBR-7C (MOA) Reticle
Ziess V4 (used) not sure what would be best reticle for me yet
Meopta Optika6 4.5-27x50 (or56?) or 3-18x56 (unsure on reticles)
Arken SH-4 gen 2 (if I could get my hands on one)
Burris XTR II Rifle Scope - 3-15x50mm 34mm FFP Illuminated SCR MOA Reticle Matte( can get blemished for $640)
Burris Signature HD 5-25x50mm (unsure reticle)
Leupold???

As you can see my price point varies a lot. I would love to stick around the $500 range if all possible but willing to go up if there is a scope absolutely worth having. still want to keep this gun fairly light and easy to carry around all day unlike some of the other guns I have. Please let me know what you believe is the best bang for your buck out of these rifles and optics.
You get a lot of bang for the buck with a Tikka.

Elk die just like anything else if shot In the right spot if-you coach people into making marginal shots then you get marginal hits lifetime tag or not be an ethical hunter I can't believe all the talk about taking in ethical shots if he hadn't practiced and isn't set up for the shot to make it good the trigger shouldn't be pulled. David
I looked through every one of your posts and I saw nothing to indicate that you have ever seen an elk in person, much less shot one. I am so sick of you armchair enthusiasts throwing you $.02 at this topic. I have shot a lot of elk. I have guided elk hunters. I have seen elk shot poorly and I have seen at least 2 that thought had been shot well that were not recovered. I get it, shooting the smallest cartridge capable of killing the animal has become a badge of honor on this forum. Everyone only takes and 100% of the time makes perfect shots, and their elk never take a single step after being hit with the 6.5CM. Bunch of Bs.

I have owned 5 Tikka T3's: 270 WSM, 7mm RM, (2) 300 WSM. My current rifle is a 6.5 PRC (rebarreled the 270 WSM). I love their smooth actions and the ability to buy pre-fit, shoulder (fixed) replacement barrels. All the factory Tikkas shot in the .75 to 1.25 MOA range. Good enough for what you want to do. I would go with a used Sightron SIII 6-24x50 scope. Great glass. Repeatable turret dials. They can be found used for roughly $500 - $550.

As others have suggested, trigger time with your rifle/scope will be more important than what equipment or caliber you choose.

You haven't mentioned what expectations you have regarding trophy quality. If any old bull scoring 280-320 will do, then pick whatever equipment you like and practice. If your sights are set on a true trophy that could very well be a once in a life time experience, then make sure you have enough gun. The 6.5 PRC is a great caliber. It will kill elk 95% of the time, but the other 5% may be what you run into on your hunt.

Let's say you want to hold out for a true trophy bull in the 340-360 range. You find him in your pre-season scouting. You hunt hard for 5-7 days, passing up lesser bulls trying to hold out for your giant. On the final day of the hunt, bad weather moves in. Lots of fog and wind with this ice storm. The sun is going down as you come over a rise and catch your bull going up the hill on the opposite side of the valley at 680 yards. He stops and turns to look at his back trail, offering you a hard quartering away shot at his vitals. You have spent a lot of trigger time with you rifle and are confident you can make that shot. At that moment in time what caliber do you want in your hands?

This scenario may not ever happen top you and the 6.5 PRC will serve you well. But my luck seems to trend to the above example. If this is a once in a life time hunt and you want a true trophy - then I would leave nothing to chance. I would go with one of the bigger 7mm's, and most likely a 30 cal rifle. BTW - The larger magnums will thump you good in those light Tikka rifles.
Shot a Winchester Featherweight in 300 Win Mag with a KDF break for years. Put many Elk in the freezer over the years. Sold it and Bought the HMR-PRO Bugeara 300 WM. Put an old Loupy 4.5X14X50 on top. Shoots better than the Win. Take a look in your local Pon shops for something "Litely" shot and will within your $$$ values! Ammo is really something to think about! Elk from Aprox 50 yds/800yds. 180 gr spbt all with one shot, No tracking, just pick up where they have fallen!

Always good to see the conversations. So here are my criteria for elk.
Minimums:
1500 lbs + of energy at 400
Drop less than 24" @ 400 zeroed at 200
Bullet weight not less than 140
Then that gun you shoot the best (the meat gun) I.e. Confidence is critical in uncomfortable shooting positions
Ammo has good construction and 60% weight retention at 50 yards with 2x expansion and BC over .40
This is a fairly decent list of calibers.
Most any scope over $450 with at least a 44mm objective and at least 9x upper end power.
Welcome Fish. You may be new to this forum, but certainly NOT to guns!!

Alot of people telling you to choose a different cartridge. In MY experience wounded game and long track jobs have always been the shooters short-coming not the cartridge. I have seen a couple bullets splatters, but not in the last 15 years. It is always a poor shot that initiates a long track. Practice, know your limitations, leave your pride at the truck, and the PRC will be fine.
What Quintus said is BIBLE. l have worked for Kenny Jarrett off and on for almost FORTY yrs. (working for him now) Over those 40 yrs l have seen Jarrett owners come to the shop to pick up those new firesticks and then to Jarrett's range. They will be given a chance to shoot their new gun. With the gun's sub half inch proof target close by they will bang away at that same size target. With no disrespect to anyone l will have to say the 2 targets AIN'T the same. Some think its the gun. MOST know its them. To prove the rifle/ammo are good we then shoot a second target. lts usually close to the test target.
To be a good shot you have to ''SHOOT''.
Breaking in new barrels there is a regimen of ''shoot-clean shoot-clean''. This is done with no sights, no gun finish. We shoot standing ''shotgun style''. Now this test range has a 300 yard 24'' diameter steel AR500 gong. After a day or so shooting a rifle shotgun style its possible for most anyone to hit that gong Three out of Four times!!!
Repeating myself. To be a good shot you gotta SHOOT

I looked through every one of your posts and I saw nothing to indicate that you have ever seen an elk in person, much less shot one. I am so sick of you armchair enthusiasts throwing you $.02 at this topic. I have shot a lot of elk. I have guided elk hunters. I have seen elk shot poorly and I have seen at least 2 that thought had been shot well that were not recovered. I get it, shooting the smallest cartridge capable of killing the animal has become a badge of honor on this forum. Everyone only takes and 100% of the time makes perfect shots, and their elk never take a single step after being hit with the 6.5CM. Bunch of Bs.
No arm chair but people that recommend poor shots shouldn't be allowed to hunt stick to slaying trout. David

Attachments

• C67D8696-BDC2-473F-8F08-DC6499FCCD3C.jpeg
    C67D8696-BDC2-473F-8F08-DC6499FCCD3C.jpeg
    12.7 KB · Views: 101
  • D92DB13F-932C-4434-861D-E53171FF3AC2.jpeg
    D92DB13F-932C-4434-861D-E53171FF3AC2.jpeg
    45.7 KB · Views: 94
  • 5A2B6AE1-8BE7-44F7-BBC1-349B6D22A0A1.jpeg
    5A2B6AE1-8BE7-44F7-BBC1-349B6D22A0A1.jpeg
    46.2 KB · Views: 111
Many hunters have trouble with magnums. That said I use one and what helps me is to have a "Hair" trigger and concentrate on the crosshairs and lightly squeeze BAAAMM! No flinch as I was surprised by the blast.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.