Help me decide on an elk rifle

Encore- the 7 saum was only made in senderos for a short time. hard to find one. the reason your guide told you 300 win mag is it is plenty enough for most all situations. coy says he shot some with 243 or 25-06. great . he lives in a state with a lot of elk. traveling to another state with its costs i would want something more. the 300 win mag is what Chris Kyle used to great affect. it is used a lot in 1000 yard matches. it is a forgiving round to load for- only easier cartirdges i have found the .222 and the 308. RMEF did a study- found most are kilt with a 7mm and second most with a 30-06 ; also most are harvested by residents. My 300's are uncommonly accurate.

The 7 SAUM originally came out on the Model 7, my dad had a couple of them and my brother still has one. Nosler and ADG make brass for it. It is a great all around cartridge like the 7mm Rem Mag, only shorter and sexier. The 280AI and 300 WM are also great options

My uncle and cousin take elk every year with a 25-06 l, all one shot kills.

Bullet selection and shot placement are the most important factors, and make sure you are confortable with the rifle and know your limitations.

And no, you don't need a bazooka for elk.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.