Help me decide on a new rifle!

bwaites

OK,

As of right now, I have EXACTLY 1 yes that is ONE rifle, (well, I have a Beeman Air Rifle, but that doesn't count). That rifle is my Grendel.

I got out of the gun habit years ago, keeping only my Ruger .40 handgun.

I am slowly working my way back into the game, and I'm trying to decide on rifle number 2.

I love the fact that I can go to the range and I'm the only guy there with a Grendel, (unless my friend who I talked into buying one is with me!)

I've considered a .17HMR, but I think I want something that can reach out even farther than the Grendel, and I, unlike many of you here, DON'T have more rifles than I need!

So help me out, what should my next rifle be? I know that I don't want it to be a .308, 30-06, 7mm or similar.

I am strongly considering an AR-30 in Lapua .338, or even a custom rifle in one of the true high power wildcats like .338 EDGE, or Allan Magnum, but I trust you guys will steer me right.

This will mostly be a range gun, but I need the weight under 12 pounds so that scoped it will be under 15 pounds and eligible to hunt with.

Bill

Welcome back to hunting. You could help us if you would share with us what game you intend to hunt and what the longest shoot you think you might be willing to take.

I would seriously look at one of Kirby's Allen mags. I would also have Kirby build your rifle too!

Wildcat

Any long range hunting I do would be most varmints to help out farming friend and predators such as coyotes for the same reason.

My wife won't eat wild game, and I won't kill it if we don't eat it. She has a pretty discerning palate, and although she has no qualms about eating meat, she likes hers to be very mild, leaving out most game animals.

I have tried to sneak moose and elk in there, no luck!

She has tried buffalo, and liked it, but no where around here to shoot buffalo!!

If I go the high dollar route, it will be a .338 Edge (or similar) or a an Allen Mag, no doubt. My custom rifle will be built by either Shawn or Kirby, and I'll have one of each if I can afford it!

Bill

This is just my $.02.....I really like the .30 Hart and the .338 Hart... They are deadly accurate and can be easily built to under your weight limit.
I am not familiar with these gun builders you mentioned but am god friends with Bob Hart and he builds a fine rifle.....at a reasonable price www.rwhart.com

do you have reloading tools and have you ever reloaded? If you don't you my want to look at a 300RUM ,338RUM ,300WSM if you feel you need a large rifle. but if you are just going to shoot varmints i would be looking at a smaller round that there is a lot of good factory ammo for and a 243, 308 , 30-06 is going to be hard to beat. Kirby is sending my edge to me this week. but there not cheap to build are shoot. time every thing is done i will be at around 4500.00 for the rifle and scope before i ever shoot it. i can shoot my 243,308,300wsm a lot more for a lot less. with the edge are any AM you will have to reload for it and if you don't have the tools for it there goes another 500-700.00. but if you can reload and don't mind spending the money the edge is the way to go for you first custom and Kirby is guy to go with. I'm going to have him build me a 375AM next. like you said more guns than i need!!!!!!!

How about a 338 Laupa Like the one that Shawn just built for me complete at 11.6 pounds

PARKER338LM-1.jpg

Last edited:
Before we can make a good response, couple key questions.

1. Are you going to reload? It sounds like you are.

2. "Range gun", please explain more. Are we talking plinking, Fclass comps, ground hog matches, what distances and what are you going to hunt etc?

3. how many rounds shot a year? (Most magnums and Big wildcats will last 1000-1500 rds max, exception is the 300 WSM is getting 2-3x that)

4. What is your tolerance for recoil? Braked or not, the big 338s are going to rock you.

5. 338s cost a lot to feed in brass, powder and bullets. Is that a problem.

Must reload for any of the wildcats and 338 Lapuas are too costly to buy new.

For up to 1200 yards any of the top 30 cals with 210s or 240s will work. (300 WSM, 300 Win, 300 Wthby, 30 Hart, 300 RUM, 30-338 Lapua, Allen Mags etc)

For 1200 plus, you are talking 338s (338 Edge, 338 Lapua AI, 338/406 etc)

there are several good smiths here on this board, Bobby Hart has been mentioned and is very good (my brother shoots a 30 hart that I reload for him) any of the smiths from the top recommended smiths section on www.6mmbr.com.

With you taking varmints, the 6.5x47 with the 123, the 6x47, or 6 BR with the 95-107 gr bullets would be great choices.

BH

Last edited:
Before we can make a good response, couple key questions.

1. Are you going to reload? It sounds like you are.

I am/will be reloading, but some rounds cost significantly more, I understand. Lapua brass for the .338 Lapua is a lot more than the brass for .338 EDGE for instance. That will play a part, although minor, in my decision process.

2. "Range gun", please explain more. Are we talking plinking, Fclass comps, ground hog matches, what distances and what are you going to hunt etc?

I don't compete, except with friends. Although I might consider some of the 1000+ yard matches or sniper matches if I get to where I feel comfortable with doping wind, range, etc. As far as hunting, it would be mostly varmints/predators for farm control. Ranges out to 1000 yards.

3. how many rounds shot a year? (Most magnums and Big wildcats will last 1000-1500 rds max, exception is the 300 WSM is getting 2-3x that)

Fair question. I shoot 200 or so rounds from my 6.5 Grendel on each visit to the range, but expect to shoot maybe a tenth of that with the larger caliber. In the field, if I were to shoot 10 times at 500-1000 yards I'd be surprised. I can get pretty close most of the time, and would then use the Grendel, the long range shots would be on very smart coyotes.

4. What is your tolerance for recoil? Braked or not, the big 338s are going to rock you.

I'm 6'3" and 260+ pounds. I shoot tactical shotgun matches with 12 gauge slugs and shoot courses of fire where I shoot 35 straight slugs in less than 2 minutes, with 7 or eight courses during the day. While I haven't shot anything bigger than .300 RUM, I think I can tolerate it, of course, thinking and doing are two different things!

5. 338s cost a lot to feed in brass, powder and bullets. Is that a problem.

I like the .338 EDGE because the brass is cheap, but reloading is cheaper than buying anyway, although even reloading gets expensive at these levels.

Must reload for any of the wildcats and 338 Lapuas are too costly to buy new.

For up to 1200 yards any of the top 30 cals with 210s or 240s will work. (300 WSM, 300 Win, 300 Wthby, 30 Hart, 300 RUM, 30-338 Lapua, Allen Mags etc)

For 1200 plus, you are talking 338s (338 Edge, 338 Lapua AI, 338/406 etc)

there are several good smiths here on this board, Bobby Hart has been mentioned and is very good (my brother shoots a 30 hart that I reload for him) any of the smiths from the top recommended smiths section on www.6mmbr.com.

I've emailed with Shawn Carlock re: the .338, and talked on the board with Kirby Allen re: the Allen Mags. Bobby Hart is on the short list as well, though I haven't talked with him.

With you taking varmints, the 6.5x47 with the 123, the 6x47, or 6 BR with the 95-107 gr bullets would be great choices.

My Grendel is fine out to 500+ yards, especially with the 90-100 Grain Noslers. The 6.5x47 and 6mm calibers are great ideas, and great cartridges too.

Thanks for all the help and ideas!!

I really appreciate all the help so far guys!! Lots of good info.

Bill

BH

Great rifle! I sort of am leaning away from the .338 Lapua because of the brass costs compared to the .338 EDGE, which has comparable performance from what I read.

It's not ruled out, just on my short second list!

Bill

How about a 338 Laupa Like the one that Shawn just built for me complete at 11.6 pounds

PARKER338LM-1.jpg

Nothing about any 338 sized case is cheap. Big boomers are great guns but they are not suited for everything.

Brass is the cheapest of your worries. 1 lb of powder might get you 100 rounds reloaded. 338 bullets will be 2x-4x minimum of a 6mm Plus 338 barrels will last 1000-1400 rds max. New barrel is about $600-700 or so installed minimum time you figure in extra length of blank, chambering, rethreading brake and rebedding depending on who does it. Lastly a 338 is definetly not needed for coyotes unless you are doing 1000 plus and high winds routinely.

Richard Franklin in VA (richardcustomrifles.com) uses a 6mm AI and a 300 WSM shooting 125 Btips. He has good articles on his site about both calibers and LR varmint hits out to 1000 plus and videos.

The jury is still out on the 6x47 as far as barrel life, but from all accounts so far, it is definetly better than the magnums but we are not sure if it will get the 3000-4000 rounds of the straight 6 BR.

What you have described is a LR varmint gun not a LR big game gun (338) IMO. I would opt for something in the 6mm class as light as a straight 6 BR with 10 twist shooting berger 95s (2950 fps) or the 6x47 in same 3150-3200 fps). Super easy to reload, much cheaper, flat shooting and lot longer barrel life.

If you want a 30 cal, then go with a 300 WSM and 1-12 twist barrel (do not go with the old standby 1-10 twist) that will shoot the 150-190 gr bullets great for LR varmint and deer.

BH

BH,

Good advice, I'm sure!

I do shoot in wind A LOT. Eastern Washington has few wind free days, and MANY where the wind is in the 20 MPH range or higher for much of the day.

I try to sight in my rifles early in the day, when wind is lowest, but even then, in summertime when the wind is calmest, I generally have to deal with 5-10 MPH winds.

I understood RUM brass for the .338 EDGE was relatively easy to come by, and I understand the powder costs.

The 6MM rifles are great guns, but I am not convinced of their knockdown power at the distances you are talking about. Maybe I need to do some more reading!

Thanks for all the guidance!

Bill

Bounty Hunter is dead on......get Bob Hart to build you a rifle and you will not be disapointed. His rifles are known for accuracy and the price will be normally half of the other guys.
As far as the .30 Hart goes load it with 81 grs RL19 and seat any quality 180 gr bullet and it will deliver amazing accuracy. For the 190MK I load 79 gr RL19 again with one hole accuracy and finally I am trying the new 208gr A-Max with 77gr RL19....I will get back with you on accuracy as I havent toyed enough with it yet.

Bwaites
I just hung up with Bob Hart and he said to tell you to call him anytime on his cell 15704414177 and he would love to visit with you about your build.
Bobby is a very personable individual with an immense amount of knowledge about long range shooting. On top of that I consider him a dear friend and he has built me some of the finest rifles I have ever owned.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.