Help Deciding on "Budget" Rifle & Scope for Once in a lifetime Elk tag (narrowed down list)

So I just found out that I drew a North Dakota Elk Tag which is a once in a lifetime tag (literally can only get one in your lifetime). I have been going over everything I need... which is a lot of gear (lightweight camo, new pack, spotting scope, rangefinder) so I am trying to keep costs down. I am big into archery hunting whitetails but also have shot plenty of rifle in my life. I figured this is a good opportunity to get a new rifle setup as I also have a Wyoming muley tag that I will be guaranteed for but I will put it off for a year after hearing this news.

I narrowed the rifle choices to these three:
1. Tikka lite veil wideland 6.5PRC
2. Tikka lite Roughtech 6.5PRC
3. Christensen Arms Mesa 6.5PRC

I cant imagine I will be shooting an elk past 400 yards. But I do like to go shoot gongs out to around 800-1000 yards. Also I know Tikka's are just coming out with the 6.5PRC but I have heard of a few shops who have gotten them already so I would think it wouldn't take too long to get one. I have had both the tikka and the Christenson in my hands. I like both, I prefer the tikka action. But feel they are pretty comparable, besides Christensen having a better stock. I know I can get all of them for close to the same price. I like the fact the both the wideland and mesa are cerakoted.

Scope Choices:
Athlon Helos BTR GEN2 4-20×50 APLR6 FFP IR MOA
Athlon Midas BTR GEN2 4.5-27×50 AHMR SFP IR MOA HD
Vortex Strike Eagle 5-25x56 EBR-7C (MOA) Reticle
Ziess V4 (used) not sure what would be best reticle for me yet
Meopta Optika6 4.5-27x50 (or56?) or 3-18x56 (unsure on reticles)
Arken SH-4 gen 2 (if I could get my hands on one)
Burris XTR II Rifle Scope - 3-15x50mm 34mm FFP Illuminated SCR MOA Reticle Matte( can get blemished for $640)
Burris Signature HD 5-25x50mm (unsure reticle)
Leupold???

As you can see my price point varies a lot. I would love to stick around the $500 range if all possible but willing to go up if there is a scope absolutely worth having. still want to keep this gun fairly light and easy to carry around all day unlike some of the other guns I have. Please let me know what you believe is the best bang for your buck out of these rifles and optics.
All you scope choices are fine. I would no more build a 6.5PRC right now than a 8mm mauser.

before you go that route why don't you buy 200 rounds of ammo. I Have notify me requests for 6.5PRC ammo literally in 20 places and have yet to receive and email. Most rifles need 100 rounds to find their sweet spot. And if you are going on a once in a lifetime hunt you want a rifle that has settled in. So you want to shoot the gun a lot before hunting. Good luck finding a bunch of 6.5PRC anything. Its out there but scarce. In your shoes I'm building a 260 rem if I'm committed to 6.5. If I had my druthers Id buy or build a 300WSM or a full sized 300 WM.

So I just found out that I drew a North Dakota Elk Tag which is a once in a lifetime tag (literally can only get one in your lifetime). I have been going over everything I need... which is a lot of gear (lightweight camo, new pack, spotting scope, rangefinder) so I am trying to keep costs down. I am big into archery hunting whitetails but also have shot plenty of rifle in my life. I figured this is a good opportunity to get a new rifle setup as I also have a Wyoming muley tag that I will be guaranteed for but I will put it off for a year after hearing this news.

I cant imagine I will be shooting an elk past 400 yards. But I do like to go shoot gongs out to around 800-1000 yards. Also I know Tikka's are just coming out with the 6.5PRC but I have heard of a few shops who have gotten them already so I would think it wouldn't take too long to get one. I have had both the tikka and the Christenson in my hands. I like both, I prefer the tikka action. But feel they are pretty comparable, besides Christensen having a better stock. I know I can get all of them for close to the same price. I like the fact the both the wideland and mesa are cerakoted.

Scope Choices:
Burris XTR II Rifle Scope - 3-15x50mm 34mm FFP Illuminated SCR MOA Reticle Matte( can get blemished for $640)
Leupold???

As you can see my price point varies a lot. I would love to stick around the $500 range if all possible but willing to go up if there is a scope absolutely worth having. still want to keep this gun fairly light and easy to carry around all day unlike some of the other guns I have. Please let me know what you believe is the best bang for your buck out of these rifles and optics.
I would be curious to know the ammo you intend to use as well.

Scope Choices:
Leupold???

Tikka and the Zeiss V4
Assuming you have access to ammo
I would shop Redhawkrifles.com for the scope.

Scope Choices:
Leupold???

As for caliber for your rifle I would go bigger than a 6.5 to start with. For the last two hunt season my so and I drew tags fo elk that took 24 & 25 years to draw we both got our elk I used a 7mmRUM with160gr Accubond took 4 shots to anchor him 2 were through both shoulder and one up his poop shoot my son used a 300 PRC 212gr ELDX took 3 shots to put him down all 3 through the chest. They attended big tough critters. My opinion

Longest shot expected 400 yards but like to shoot to 800-1000 on steel? I'd be looking for a .308, simply for the economy of things. Range time is going to be the most important thing and I can sure find .308 ammunition and components easier than I can 6.5 PRC or pretty much anything 6.5mm at the moment. Or buy a 6.8 Western, I can walk into any local store at the moment and buy ammunition for it, though I haven't seen a rifle for it yet locally.

Buy a 6.5 PRC when things get better, right now find something more available. Buy a Tikka, or god forbid a cheap T/C Venture then spend more money on optics if you want, buy a couple cases of ammunition, and spend a lot of time at the range. Confidence in whatever you're shooting matters more than the what's stamped on the case, or the name of the rifle, and it won't improve the memories you'll have filling a "once in a lifetime tag" having the high end rifle and the latest long range cartridge.

Scope Choices:
Leupold???

As you can see my price point varies a lot. I would love to stick around the $500 range if all possible but willing to go up if there is a scope absolutely worth having. still want to keep this gun fairly light and easy to carry around all day unlike some of the other guns I have. Please let me know what you believe is the best bang for your buck out of these rifles and opti

Scope Choices:
Leupold???

I'm probably going to catch a lot of slack over this but I would maybe rethink your caliber of choice. For

Scope Choices:
Leupold???

Scope Choices:
Leupold???

First off congrats on the tag. I know I will probably catch some flack over this but in my opinion you might want to give a rethink on your caliber of choice. I have more than one 6.5 , including the PRC and I do really like it. That being said on a once in a lifetime elk hunt I would look at a 30 or 33 caliber. Always better to have a bullet that will do a better job on a not so perfect shot than having a bullet that needs to be more of a perfect shot. S**t does happen regardless of how hard we try to accomplish the perfect shot. Good luck on what ever you decide and hope you have a great hunt.

Standard stainless Tikka T3x Lite-- 300wsm, VX5HD 3-15x

300wsm will be plenty for any other critter you may hunt, ammo is easier to find and elk aren't small critters. If I'm on a 'once in a lifetime' for anything I'm going in with P for plenty of gun.
This setup is ideal in my opinion for elk. I have fired the WSM in 3 tikkas and all have been under 1 MOA with my reloads and 2 were there with factory ammo. I just picked up 2 of the Leupolds mentioned above and they have been outstanding as well. This setup is not too heavy and I like everything about it except for the stock and recoil pad.

The 6.5 PRC is pretty slick with a great selection of bullets that will crush at 400 yards. I have the CA Mesa and really like it. It will out-shoot me 6 days from Sunday and has shown to be very accurate with several different bullet weights and types. If you do your part the cartridge will be fine. Scopes I would just go see what you like. 400 and in won't require dialing so you just need glass that is acceptable to you and a comfortable eyebox. Any of the scopes you mentioned should hold zero just fine.

Congratulations on the tag!

I would go with a Tikka and a Luepold VX 5. The Tikka is a tried and true system. They just shoot and shoot well. CA as well as Bergara as of late have had problems with some of their chamberings. They have had accuracy issues with some rifles. Customer support and track record are great with Tikka, as well as aftermarket support and the examples I have seen of the newer models are still a few hundred less than the CH models, leaving you a little extra to spend on an optic (Tikka $1100-1200, CH Mesa 1300-1500 locally).

Leupold is also tried and tested. The glass in the VX 5 is the same as the glass in the VX 6 and Mark 5, according to Luepold. The only atvantage gained by going with the later two would be features and magnification.

If you can find the ammo or components the 6.5 PRC should serve you well and be enjoyable to shoot no matter which configuration you choose. I have a couple of friends who shoot and love it. One of my favorite cartridges is the 6.5x284 Norma and the PRC is it ballistic twin. The 270 (my personal choice for a light weight elk rifle) and 6.5x55 have accounted for more elk and like animals around the world than one could probably imagine. The 6.5 PRC is superior to both and as a long range play toy, loads of fun on steal and rocks to a mile if you wanted.

One of the Tikkas in 6.5 PRC topped with a VX5 and a good set of Luepold or Warne rings would be a really nice set up. Good Luck!

I feel awkward because I've never done a once in a lifetime thing like this but my advice is don't get a different scope. For me 90% of scope issues have occurred when new or were preexisting conditions. I'd be really grumpy but I'd take a boring scope that I really know well. It's fun to shop though.

I haven't read all the posts so forgive me if this has been discussed but why the 6.5 PRC for elk? That would make a good choice for your muley hunt but less then ideal for elk hunting, especially a once and a lifetime tag. It's hard to buy one gun for all big game hunting but if you do, you are better off hunting medium deer sized game with a bigger bore then the other way around.

After being in elk camps for close to 30 years and seeing and experiencing many kills, almost kills, near kills, I'm pretty sure I hit him good shots then all day tracking etc... I would strongly suggest you consider something more suitable for large game. Yes, if you have the perfect broadside shot at a modest distance and you have a perfect rest without wind or rain or snow and the animal doesn't move and you don't get nervous and you hit the target in the boiler room then you should make an ethical kill. My suggestion is something in the .338 family, they just have the ability to somewhat anchor elk in my experience better than even the 30 magnums. Of course, you have to be comfortable shooting whatever you use and have to place the shot well, however you are increasing your odds of wounding rather than harvesting as well as spending the majority of your hunt on a blood trail if you use a cartridge that is not quite enough for all scenarios you might encouter while hunting elk.

I'm sure there are many people that will tell you how many elk their uncle has killed with 6.5 cartridge or a 30-30, or a 257 Robert's which may be true buy I'm just saying it's less then ideal and you are decreasing your odds of an ethical harvest.

My opinion,get a Tikka in 270 Win,270WSM or 300WSM.Forget about the clunky ,heavy 20+ power scopes.Elk are big.I would get a 30 MM VX3i 4.5-14X40 with CDS.Weighs 16 ozs.Put in Talley lite weight ring bases.I would buy the plain stainless with out the camo which is meaningless.I would assume as this is a once in a lifetime shot,that you are going with an outfitter.He will get you close to your animal.I am not saying there is anything wrong with the 6.5 PRC.It is just about impossible to get components or loaded ammo for them.This is what I would do.Huntz

Your largest rifle now is a 243 Win...so, I get the desire to get a smaller caliber....I would start with what ammo can you get. IMO, ammo makers will get out brand new calibers first, then old standbys.....

I would limit myself in your shoes to: 6.8 Western, 28 Nosler, 308 Win, 270 Win, 30-06, 7mm Rem Mag, 300 Win Mag, 280 AI(available this morning)....

Found a rifle: $1340
This is a very complete rifle IMO. It has a rock solid aluminum chassis...ready to bed, if needed. It has a muzzle brake and a good all weather coating. In addition, it has Winchesters proven crf action and positive bolt locking, striker safety. The MOA trigger is good enough IME, but could be easily replaced with a Timney.

Optic will be easy....I really like this one, but my rifle not in hand to test yet. Athlon Ares BTR Gen II 2.5-15 $640
What can I say..mil-mil, tree reticle, reasonable weight, good crisp/stiff turrets....I like it.

Last edited:
A lot have already said it but I question the choice of a 6.5 prc for elk. Will it work with a perfectly placed shot? Yes but So will a 243. Luckily you have an ammo connection. I would still recommend a 7 mag or 300 win. Elk are tough animals.

I run a 3-15x44 vx5 on 3 rifles all with wind plex. I just wish they made that reticle in the 56mm. I will be picking up a 4th for. 30-378 elk project.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.