Help Choosing My First .308 Rifle

Look into an EGW base. They are 39.99 and you can get a 20MOA or 0-MOA. For a .308 I would definitely go 20MOA.

With the Millett TRS scope, would that be necessary? I know they max out at around 800 yards I believe.

I would like the 20 MOA base, but they're a bit more than I was looking to spend between the base and the rings.

How would a Talley 2 piece or a DNZ 1 Piece compare?

With the Millett TRS scope, would that be necessary? I know they max out at around 800 yards I believe.

I would like the 20 MOA base, but they're a bit more than I was looking to spend between the base and the rings.

How would a Talley 2 piece or a DNZ 1 Piece compare?

It isn't necessary, but the extra helps in case your load or ballistics don't work out quite what you thought they would. Some rifles that don't use the 20MOA base will use about half of their adjustment in just zeroing the rifle. That's not true for all, but it does happen. I like having the full extent of my vertical travel if for nothing else to play at longer ranges when target practicing. There are bullets you can use that will allow a .308 to go well beyond 1000yds. I've maxed out my turrets on several occasions.

I have decided to go with a Talley 1 Piece 20 MOA picatinny rail as my base. I'm also going to purchase Millett Tactical 30mm rings for my scope rings.

The impending question is, with the TRS-1 having an objective bell diameter of 59.6mm, which height rings should I choose?

The rings are as follows:

High: 1.0025"
Medium: 0.608"
Low: 0.2555"

I know the high rings are a safe bet, but I also want the scope to be easily sighted in, and for my cheek to be on the cheek rest properly.

I have decided to go with a Talley 1 Piece 20 MOA picatinny rail as my base. I'm also going to purchase Millett Tactical 30mm rings for my scope rings.

The impending question is, with the TRS-1 having an objective bell diameter of 59.6mm, which height rings should I choose?

The rings are as follows:

High: 1.0025"
Medium: 0.608"
Low: 0.2555"

I know the high rings are a safe bet, but I also want the scope to be easily sighted in, and for my cheek to be on the cheek rest properly.

Normally, the lowest you can go is what you should be after. Call the seller/company you're buying the rings from and they should be able to tell you what rings will work based on the rifle model, base you picked, and the objective diameter of the scope.

Normally, the lowest you can go is what you should be after. Call the seller/company you're buying the rings from and they should be able to tell you what rings will work based on the rifle model, base you picked, and the objective diameter of the scope.

I used a formula I found on a forum:

scope ring height: base to bottom of ring - [(outer diameter of objective lens - scope tube diameter)/2]

The TRS has a 59.4mm OD objective and a 30mm tube, which using the formula, comes out to 15.407mm-14.700mm. This without taking into account the height of the scope base (I believe it to be 3.175mm) and the contour of the barrel which should allow for a little extra room. I think it will clear it by a few mm which is fine in my book.

The Savages are great rifles so are the Stevens 200 {$300} which is basically a Savage 110 without the accutrigger plus look at the Marlin XS7 they have an adjustable trigger and run about $325 . I just bought a XS7 in black and stainless in 7mm08 {a necked down 308 with a 28 caliber bullet} for $389 I had been looking alot and finally settled on the Marlin only because I wanted stainless action and barell

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts