Help Choosing My First .308 Rifle

LXnastynotch93

Hey everyone,

I've been doing a good amount of research on some .308 hunting rifles, and much of it was actually threads on LRH.

I'm currently looking to purchase a bolt action rifle in .308. So far I'm looking at a few different rifles under $500:

1.Weatherby Vanguard S2
2.Savage 11F Hunter
3.Thompson Center Arms Venture
4.Marlin XS7

As well as the Remington SPS 700 Varmint for $570, however, there is a $50 rebate directly from Remington for the SPS Var.

To get to the heart of the matter, I'd like something that is a good platform to accurize, and perhaps some day do some long range shooting with. I would like to keep it under $500 for the rifle, as I'm also looking at spending around $350 for a Millett TRS scope, and DNZ 1-piece scope mount.

Is it worth spending the extra $20-$50 for the Remington, or will the other options shoot nearly as well for a little less cash? Thank you for your help, it's greatly appreciated.

I have a savage 11 Hunter XP which is their cheap package model. I absolutely love it. for a base platform it is awesome. I have since added a Rifle basix trigger, and will be adding a Stockade Hunting Sporter stock. In the furure I might add a Shilen Heavy sporter bbl. In other words, it's a great starting platform that you can do the modifications to yourself with just a couple special tools.

Savage makes some of the most accurate out of the box rifles, and I highly recommend them

Here ya go. This will get ya started: Savage Arms

If you can find one used, look for the 12FV in .308, 12VLP, or 10FP. They are out there and should be able to get one for a good price. I think you will enjoy the scope. Might want to look for a Howa and a Weatherby Vangaurd. Those are two very good rifles also. They use the same action. I like the Savage's just for the fact I can do all the work myself w/o a lathe. A Stevens might be a good option too. It's a cheaper Savage. Great place to start your own build when you can afford it.

Thanks for the advice guys.

I'm probably going to order a brand new one at Dicks Sporting Goods, since they have a sale on firearms right now.

I would love to get an accutrigger model Savage, because they are super accurate out of the box. My Dad actually just picked up an FCP-K in .308, and it's sweet. It was also $800 which is way out of my price range lol.

If you guys had to choose between any of the sub $500 rifles I listed, or the SPS Varmint which would would you have?

The 11 hunter for me! You can do a trigger up grade when you get the cash. You might be able to tweak the trigger on the Mod11 a little too just to make it a little nicer.

I do like the Savage rifles, however I don't know if I can order just the rifle from Dick's, or if I have to get the scope with the rifle. I'm also pretty sure that the 11f Hunter comes with an accutrigger, or so I thought.

It will probably come down to the SPS Var vs. the Savage when I go and look at them. I'm debating whether to take advantage of the Remington rebate, because that'll make the SPS a pretty good deal.

I do like the Savage rifles, however I don't know if I can order just the rifle from Dick's, or if I have to get the scope with the rifle. I'm also pretty sure that the 11f Hunter comes with an accutrigger, or so I thought.

It will probably come down to the SPS Var vs. the Savage when I go and look at them. I'm debating whether to take advantage of the Remington rebate, because that'll make the SPS a pretty good deal.

You could always buy the package deal and sell the parts you don't want to put towards parts you do want.

You could always buy the package deal and sell the parts you don't want to put towards parts you do want.

That's true. I really like the new 11 Trophy Hunter XP, but the scope that comes with it isn't that great. If I could get that package for under $500 I'd probably do it and just sell the scope that comes with it.

I am definitely leaning towards something with a heavier barrel contour, such as a varmint style barrel.

Is there any way to special order a package rifle with the Millett scope I want, or will that be too troublesome/expensive?

That's true. I really like the new 11 Trophy Hunter XP, but the scope that comes with it isn't that great. If I could get that package for under $500 I'd probably do it and just sell the scope that comes with it.

I am definitely leaning towards something with a heavier barrel contour, such as a varmint style barrel.

Is there any way to special order a package rifle with the Millett scope I want, or will that be too troublesome/expensive?

probably not, but don't sweat it, I replaced the scope on my Savage twice with no problems. I got my Savage for like $460 after taxes and stuff, then replaced the trigger, and the scope, and in like 5-7 weeks the stock, all very easy to do. I didn't get an accutrigger, that saved me some money, then I put a Rifle Basix trigger in it, and love it

You know you could always call Savage and special order a base model 12FV in a .308 caliber. Might be $600 instead of $500, but you will get the heavy barrel 26" 1:10 twist, with an accutrigger. Then you purchase your components.

You know you could always call Savage and special order a base model 12FV in a .308 caliber. Might be $600 instead of $500, but you will get the heavy barrel 26" 1:10 twist, with an accutrigger. Then you purchase your components.

Unfortunately that's definitely out of my price range at this point. If I were going to do that, I'd just get the Remington SPS Varmint in .308.

Ideally I'd like to have the 11 Trophy Hunter XP without the Nikon scope on it, but as someone said before, I can always sell the scope and replace it with the Millett.

Does anyone know how much a Savage 11 FCNS goes for in a store like Dick's Sporting goods or Bass Pro?

Unfortunately that's definitely out of my price range at this point. If I were going to do that, I'd just get the Remington SPS Varmint in .308.

Ideally I'd like to have the 11 Trophy Hunter XP without the Nikon scope on it, but as someone said before, I can always sell the scope and replace it with the Millett.

Does anyone know how much a Savage 11 FCNS goes for in a store like Dick's Sporting goods or Bass Pro?

They usually sell for around $400-$450. Depending on what Nikon is on it, you may want to keep it. Nikon's are nothing to sneeze at. If it is a Buckmaster, I would keep it. I have one and really like it. If the power isn't high enough for you, then definitely upgrade.

They usually sell for around $400-$450. Depending on what Nikon is on it, you may want to keep it. Nikon's are nothing to sneeze at. If it is a Buckmaster, I would keep it. I have one and really like it. If the power isn't high enough for you, then definitely upgrade.

If I could get an FCNS at Dick's for $450, then that would be a definite buy.

The 11 THXP comes with a Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40mm, and I'm not knocking Nikon, but it's not what I'm looking for. It's an MOA scope and I'm looking for MIL/MIL, and it also has capped adjustment knobs and I'm looking for exposed adjustment knobs. I'm also looking for at least 10x capable, and I might just buy a fixed 10x SWFA SS, or that Millett TRS-1 I stated earlier.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.