Help me build my first Long Rnage Rifle

bmeyer40

My Budget for the total Project will be $700. This is my first rifle build so I would like to keep it as easy as possible. I would like .223 or 308 Remington. I have looked at the Stevens Model 200, is this a good base. If you could please suggest parts for this Rifle and the cheapest place to order them from. Also Where is the cheapest place I can get this rifle. Thanks for your help gun)

bmeyer:
Although I don't own one, my understanding is that the Stevens 200 is an good platform from which to start.

It would be helpful to have a bit more information to help you. For instance, what do you plan to shoot? targets? varmints? deer? all of the above? Also, at what range?

I'll take a couple liberties here and assume that you wish to shoot all of the above and (since you're on LRH.com) assume that you wish to shoot long range.

Caliber Choice: go with the 308. It's accurate, can shoot everything from varmints to deer size game (even elk) and do it at much longer ranges than the 223.

Optics: Personally, I have a Rem700 in 308 that I use for all of the above tasks. http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f53/my-308-1k-rifle-updated-field-pics-43510/ The scope that is on the rifle is a Bushnell 3200 10x with mil-dot reticle. I recently tagged a ground hog at 809 yards with this rig: http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f79/pa-woodchuck-fest-09-hunt-3-a-43746/ It's a terrific inexpensive scope. I bought mine on ebay, new for $165. You can also buy it here: Bushnell 10x40 Elite 3200 Rifle Scope for $219.

I bought the scope based on this article: Low Priced Long Range Scopes

Rings and Bases: If you intend to hold your shots to within 600-800 yards, you can buy a 'standard' set of bases and medium height rings and and be fine. If you intend to shoot 1000 yards, you will need to cant your scope (lift the rear of the scope). I did this fairly inexpensively on my rifle by using Burris Signature Rings and Bases. The rings use plastic inserts of varying thickness in order to cant the scope. I put the +20 insert in the rear and the -10 insert in the front. This gave my scope an overall cant of +30moa (minute of angle). With this set up I can shoot beyond 1000 yards. You can find good prices on Burris Signatures Rings here: Burris Zee Signature 1" Rifle Scope Mount Rings for Weaver Style bases 420532 420531 420530 420522 420521 420520 With this type of ring you can use any weaver style base. Rings will cost you about $30. You will also need a set of inserts. You can find them here: Burris Signature ***-Align Offset Insert Kits & Individual Inserts 626024 626019 626018 626017 626016 a set will cost you $14 and weaver bases can be purchased just about anywhere for about $10.

Trigger Job: The factory trigger on the rifle will probably have a pull weight of about 6+ pounds. This is not good for long range shooting. Do some investigating to find out if you can adjust the trigger on a Stevens yourself. If not, spend $65 on your gunsmith and have it tuned in the 2 or 3 pound range.

Recrown the Barrel: One of the easiest things you can have done to help with accuracy is recrown the muzzle of the barrel. Sometimes the crown on a factory barrel is not square to the bore. By recrowning the barrel you can be assured that it is square. Cost: $50

So let's add it all up:

Rifle: ~$400 (that's the MSRP that I could find)
Scope: $230
Bases/rings: $54
Trigger Job: $65
Recrown Barrel: $50

That's $799. Darn close to your budget.

Enjoy the addiction!

bmeyer40,

For a fella from Falls Church VA........:D .280fan gave darn good advice.

You can grow from there as you gain experience while keeping that action etc.

Good luck

Great Read, thanks for the advice and the links. Do you think a Pac Nor match bull barrel would be a good investment ($230). And what Barrel Twist should I get. Looking for Target 500-800 yard shots.

One of the great things about the Stevens and Savage rifles is that you can change barrels yourself. I'm not familiar with Pac Nor barrels, but generally speaking after-market barrels tend to perform better than factory barrels.

Before I changed barrels though, I would encourage you to get a better stock than what comes from the factory on a Stevens. Then I would have the action bedded.

The rationale being that you have a pretty good chance of getting a decent factory barrel that will shoot 1moa or less.

I can almost promise you though that the factory stock is a piece of tupperware - meaning you will be able to twist it. That's not a stable platform.

A decent stock, like an HS Precision, will cost you $200~$300 dollars.

Here's a write-up of another rifle of mine: http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f53/my-280-updated-32771/ It has an HS Precision stock.

As an FYI, I've given you links to my rifles because both projects started out much like you are. I wanted a rifle that got me into the game right out of the box. From there I built and built...

Here's the break-down on my 308.

Rem700SPS: $500
SSS Stock: $300
Bedding, crown, trigger: $250
Scope: $165
Bases/Rings: $50

Total: $1265 (holy crap...this is the first time I've added it up)

I now have plans to add a muzzle brake and have the lugs lapped and bolt face squared.

Like I said before, it's an addiction.

In terms of a rate of twist for a 308, Remington cuts their barrels 1:12, Savage cuts 1:10 and not long ago I read about a rifle with a custom barrel that was 1:11. Generally speaking, the heavier the bullet, the faster you need to twist the barrel.

Advice, don't build. Watch the for sale section, gunbroker, & other sites. Many times you can pick up very nice custom builds for penny's on the $ for what they would cost to build. I've never had a rifle built that I made money or broke even on when reselling it. -->That's just me....

Last edited:
resell?? break even?? make money?? :)

Advise, don't build. Watch the for sale section, gunbroker, & other sites. Many times you can pick up very nice custom builds for penny's on the $ for what they would cost to build. I've never had a rifle built that I made money or broke even on when reselling it. -->That's just me....

Don't get me wrong, I still have rifles built. But that's because I know exactly what I want for a specific use. My point is if he is flexible and just wants a good shooter, he could probably get more for his money buying a previously built one.

People's shooting interests change, F-class this week, benchrest next, then LRH, varmint, black guns, sporting clays, etc. My budget can't handle having several customs collecting dust, especially when I'm not interested in that type of shooting anymore.

My latest build is shipping next week. That is why I have two guns and a scope(just sold) in the forsale section right now. :)

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.