Help: Bottom metal bolts for M5 conversion

Mnovak73

Hello,
Excuse my ignorance here I'm no gun smith but looking for help. I purchased a terminus M5 bottom metal for my Remington 700 SA (6.5 PRC). I sent everything to LRI to have the stock modified for the bottom metal. I now have my stock back and my mounting bolts are no longer the correct length, both are too long.
Is it normal to just modify the bolts or does each bottom metal manufacturer sell the correct length bolts for their specific bottom metal? I sent Joel at Terminus actions a message about this but have not heard back from him yet.

Last edited:
Usually the decision regarding the action screws for bottom metal is left to the individual since the depths vary stock style to stock style.

Most of us will carefully grind the screws to the proper length and move on. A few will attempt to find the exact length and purchase those. As has been suggested by others, be sure to put the proper size nut on the screw before grinding. This makes cleaning up the threads easier.

:)

Take the bolt out, tighten the screws, count the number of threads protruding through the action on each screw add one and cut that many threads off the screws. Rinse and repeat until the screws no longer protrude through the action and inter fear with the bolt.

Look if you want, this will at least hold you until you find them.

Here's the cut I made on a manual mill. I don't remember the exact depth of cut, but it was somewhere between .100-.150". Side milled with a 1" carbide end mill. Looks just like my other top release actions.

69983599637__56733002-0644-470C-9AC7-1D3355AED57F.jpeg