Help a beginner out with .308 bullet types

Kmkekic24

Hello,
This is my first post to the site though I have been reading articles and forum posts for a few months, learning a lot, so I apologize in advance if I mess up. I recently purchased a Remington 700 .308 SPS Varmint and got a Burris Fullfield II 4.5x-14x w/GPS Ballistic Plex scope to mount on it. Once the weather permits (Northeast Ohio) I will begin target shooting anywhere between 100- 400yds and varmint hunting as well (mostly target). I was wondering if anyone could help me out with suggesting some bullet makes, types, and weights that may be good for my purposes?
I have some 168gr HPBT Prvi Partizan that I picked up. Good/bad/otherwise?
Please keep in mind that as a poor graduate student cost is of some importance at this point for me.

Thanks

Hi Kmkekic24, welcome to LongRangeHunting.com. :cool:

You've got a great rifle and caliber to start with.
Are you going to be reloading?
If so, try the 110gr Hornady Vmax for varmints. It will flip groundhogs end over end when hit just right.
I use the 175gr Sierra Matchking for targets and groundhogs too.
Varget powder, Winchester brass and Winchester WLR primers get used for all of those bullets in my 308win.

If you aren't reloading you might want to try the Hornady 168gr Amax factory load.
There is also this factory load:
MidwayUSA - Hornady TAP Personal Defense Ammunition 308 Winchester 110 Grain Polymer Tip Point Box of 20

I googled that Prvi Partizan ammo and some folks felt it didn't shoot well. You just have to try it.

Last edited:
For target shooting with the .308
175 SMK's with Varget is a proven combo for a lot of shooters...
155 lapua scenars with H4895 is actually a little better if you decide to get WAY out there...

The 168 Prvi Partizans haven't worked out very well for anyone that I have shot with at long range but may do what you want out to 3-400.....just my experience FWIW

I load with 125 noslers for some long range yotes but will use the 175/155 loads on "targets of opportunity".....we have some yotes in some of our desert shooting spots!

Good setup in a proven cal.....have some fun!
Wes in AZ

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.