Different Bullet Makers and types of bullets

Lahunter76

I see/read alot on Bergers, Hammers, Barns, Noslers(accubonds) but dont really see many ppl talk much about the Sierra bullets in anything really other then the .338 300gr SMKs. I was just wondering who all uses them and how has terminal performance been, looking at all kinds of different ranges and velocities. Really wanting to look at 26, .27, .284, .30 call bullets. Not that i am going to shoot all of them but I will be looking at the .27 and .284 cal pills. Really enjoy talking about bullets and different aspects of shooting. Also wondering about the Ballistic Silver Tips(Nosler Ballistic Tips) also, why more ppl dont talk about them on this forum. My father and I have had alot of success using them from close to out to about 550yds( I know, its not far for most of yall, but for my dad, and me for quite awhile it was). I understand that shooting ELK/Moose is different then say Mule Deer/White Tails or Pronghorns/Couse size.

this is open to any comments about the above pills or any others that you use thats not talked about much on this site. I am all about learning more.

thanks

For us we got into making bullets because we were on the "bullet quest" to find a bullet that would kill reliable well without the meat loss that we found with lead core bullets. We are super happy with what we came up with for the Hammers. We solved the issues that copper bullets have with pressure and accuracy depending on loose bores vs tight bores with our patented drive band system. It was actually harder to find the right copper that would do what we wanted terminally than anything else. Once we found the copper that we use we are able to control weight retention and keep it the same from very high vel impacts down to low vel impacts. Very happy with what we have going now.

Merry Christmas!

Last edited:
Sierra GameKing some great bullets, and have always been accurate for me. My mentor swore by the 220gr GK in his 8mm Rem Mag. He used it from like 1980 until his death in 2010.

With the Ballistic Silvertips, I've heard guys say the Lubalox fouls up their barrels? Not sure myself, don't use them, but why pay more for a grey tip and a "moly" coating. Just get the Nosler BT if that's what you like.

I just recently used my first mono bullet. I'm using the 180 grain Barnes TTSX loaded by Choice Ammunition. I set my scope up, and the first group after setup was 0.49xx" . They also performed phenomenally in the field, in the one instance I got to use them. I used to only use Partitions or AB's. I have no experience with Hammers, but I will be trying them after talking to @RockyMtnMT . I have used Bergers, but I just can't get the shoulder shot out of my head. I've went so many years, trying to break a shoulder to drop them quicker. Bergers are not made for that job. At least not IMHO.

In my experience, the SMK is a great target bullet and I have used them for a while with great success in punching paper. In hand loads less than .5 in is more than achievable. This is a high hunting market and there are better hunting options.

Enough people here said enough good things about Sierra game kings, that I started loading them for my .308 this year 168gr (if I remember correctly) haven't had a chance to shoot anything but paper with them yet, but like I said, enough good talk that I felt ok running them. But hammers are on the agenda for next year, cuz let's face it I'd rather be shooting that jacking around with load development for as long as it seems to take me.

Enough people here said enough good things about Sierra game kings, that I started loading them for my .308 this year 168gr (if I remember correctly) haven't had a chance to shoot anything but paper with them yet, but like I said, enough good talk that I felt ok running them. But hammers are on the agenda for next year, cuz let's face it I'd rather be shooting that jacking around with load development for as long as it seems to take me.

I will add to what I said, and what this guy said. Check out the Sierra GameChangers (think the name is GameKing Tipped now).

I am in the corner of the bullet design being used for its intended purpose.

So I don't believe something like a SMK(& similar) should be used for hunting, they are 'target' projectiles.

The ideal scenario I believe you guys on here call it is DRT, something that is less likely to happen unless you absolutely hit in the right spot with a target projectile.

You do hear all the time where people are using things like Amax's, SMK's, Senars, A-tips etc etc etc & still making kills.
How many ran on or were left wounded to be lost is usually left out.

Anyway OP you can get into BC's etc but imo any type of game projectile is far better & more effective over any target projectile as it was intended to hit an animal, not a target!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.