Help 270 WSM Accuracy,

dig

Help, I have a custom 270 WSM (buildier is now gone). Shilen Barrel, Mc Millan stock, Remington Action. I have tried numerouse reloads, Nosler BT, Nosler Partition, SST, Accubond, Berger etc... I have tried all the tricks I know, shims, resonators and I just can get this rife to consistantly group, it groups around 1.75 at best. This is unacceptable as a custom rifle that should be a semi long range shooter. The rifle is an ultralite with a slim barrel contour.

1. Should I just rebarrel?

2. Who to rebarrel and what type of barrel, thinking carbon to stay lite, suggestions?

3. What caliber, 7mm WSM or 300 WSM,

This was built for a lite gun, for sheep, goat and hunts that require a lot of packing, its topped with a Leupole 4.5 x 14 x 40 with Kenton dial.

I had that same problem with my Mod 70 in 270 WSM. But it was fine for first 3 shots then it started to throw them. Gunsmith thinks the bbl was once crooked and they straightened it in factory. But introduced stress into bbl. so when it heated up it returned to crooked..... Any how its now being re-barrels with a cut rifled Brux #4 contour 7mm WSM. That cartridge is making waves in the long range world.

I would take it to a reputable smith and have it gone over, could be as simple as a poor crown and save some money. A quality built 270 WSM should shoot just as good as any thing else, if you want a med range chambering and shoot lighter bullets the 270 WSM is good stuff, if we could ever get the 169.5 gr Wildcats it would out run the 7mm WSM but it seems the wait will continue!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.