Help 270 WSM Accuracy,

dig

Help, I have a custom 270 WSM (buildier is now gone). Shilen Barrel, Mc Millan stock, Remington Action. I have tried numerouse reloads, Nosler BT, Nosler Partition, SST, Accubond, Berger VLD, HSM loads, etc... I have tried all the tricks I know, shims, resonators and I just can get this rife to consistantly group, it groups around 1.75 at best. Can get some decent 3 shot groups arond under 1.00. This is unacceptable as a custom rifle that should be a semi long range shooter. The rifle is an ultralite with a slim barrel contour.

1. Should I just rebarrel?

2. Who to rebarrel and what type of barrel, thinking carbon to stay lite, suggestions? I am in Phoenix, AZ.

3. What caliber, 7mm WSM or 300 WSM,

This was built for a lite gun, for sheep, goat and hunts that require a lot of packing, its topped with a Leupole 4.5 x 14 x 40 with Kenton dial.

You might want another smith to look at the crown. I've seen rifles that couldn't group, like yours and worse, and all that was needed was a re-crown. If you are looking at a re-barrel, I would go with a 7SAUM or 7/300 WSM. Both will shoot the 162 A-max, 175 SMK, and 168-180 Bergers very well. I would beef up the contour in order to help with consistency and accuracy. 25"-28" with 1-8.5 twist barrel would be perfect for any bullet you want to shoot.

You might want another smith to look at the crown. I've seen rifles that couldn't group, like yours and worse, and all that was needed was a re-crown. If you are looking at a re-barrel, I would go with a 7SAUM or 7/300 WSM. Both will shoot the 162 A-max, 175 SMK, and 168-180 Bergers very well. I would beef up the contour in order to help with consistency and accuracy. 25"-28" with 1-8.5 twist barrel would be perfect for any bullet you want to shoot.

Why not a 7mm WSM ? What advantage is there to a 7/300 WSM ?

Thanks for the replies. Yes I have fired HSM and Winchester factory ammo, same results although a little better velocity. I will have the crown checked as suggested, look fine through mag glass.

Well boys I am done with this 270 WSM, several more loads its all over the place just no consistancy. Going to rebarrell in 7 WSM any suggestion around the Phoenix Arizona area?

Thanks,

Well boys I am done with this 270 WSM, several more loads its all over the place just no consistancy. Going to rebarrell in 7 WSM any suggestion around the Phoenix Arizona area?

Thanks,

Might have to ship it some place. What brand Barrel ? I check around a Brux barrels has the shortest lead time. Plus its a cut rifles bbl.

Thanks, yes contacted Brux also going to look at Shilen. I have several rifles with Shilens and the have always served me well.

Thanks,

You haven't said what barrel you used or anything about your smith, fact is even the best smith cannot make a bad barrel shoot (they will replace it though) but a bad chamber job will ruin the best of barrels. I am sorry your gunsmith is no longer in business as he is the one to be talking to. Of all the barrels I have been using, I like the Brux, Broughtons, Rock Creeks, Kreigers and Lothar Walthers. All of these makers will stand behind their barrels as I am sure many others will, talk to them.

Thanks for the reply, the rifle was built a few years back and I should have sent it back at the time but I did not (too many projects), this smith is now out of business/retired but built several accurate rifles for me in the past and was well know. It is a 25 inch shilen barrell, I have have several Shilens that have alway performed. My loads have been very accurate in a freinds stock Winchester as a comparison. If you would PM me on any suggestions for work it would be greatly appreciated.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.