Help 270 WSM Accuracy,

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by dig, Sep 23, 2010.

1. dig

dig Well-Known Member

Help, I have a custom 270 WSM (buildier is now gone). Shilen Barrel, Mc Millan stock, Remington Action. I have tried numerouse reloads, Nosler BT, Nosler Partition, SST, Accubond, Berger VLD, HSM loads, etc... I have tried all the tricks I know, shims, resonators and I just can get this rife to consistantly group, it groups around 1.75 at best. Can get some decent 3 shot groups arond under 1.00. This is unacceptable as a custom rifle that should be a semi long range shooter. The rifle is an ultralite with a slim barrel contour.

1. Should I just rebarrel?

2. Who to rebarrel and what type of barrel, thinking carbon to stay lite, suggestions? I am in Phoenix, AZ.

3. What caliber, 7mm WSM or 300 WSM,

This was built for a lite gun, for sheep, goat and hunts that require a lot of packing, its topped with a Leupole 4.5 x 14 x 40 with Kenton dial.

2. JARHEAD1371

JARHEAD1371 Well-Known Member

You might want another smith to look at the crown. I've seen rifles that couldn't group, like yours and worse, and all that was needed was a re-crown. If you are looking at a re-barrel, I would go with a 7SAUM or 7/300 WSM. Both will shoot the 162 A-max, 175 SMK, and 168-180 Bergers very well. I would beef up the contour in order to help with consistency and accuracy. 25"-28" with 1-8.5 twist barrel would be perfect for any bullet you want to shoot.

3. Iron Worker

Iron Worker Well-Known Member

Why not a 7mm WSM ? What advantage is there to a 7/300 WSM ?

4. Moman

Moman Well-Known Member

Have you tried a couple different types of factory ammo? Or, a different lot of brass?

5. dig

dig Well-Known Member

Thanks for the replies. Yes I have fired HSM and Winchester factory ammo, same results although a little better velocity. I will have the crown checked as suggested, look fine through mag glass.

6. RockZ

RockZ Well-Known Member

try 140ab and imr 7828
    I had good results with 62.2gr of 7828ssc

7. JARHEAD1371

JARHEAD1371 Well-Known Member

The 7/300 has a longer neck than the 7, most think it helps with throat life.

8. dig

dig Well-Known Member

Well boys I am done with this 270 WSM, several more loads its all over the place just no consistancy. Going to rebarrell in 7 WSM any suggestion around the Phoenix Arizona area?

Thanks,

9. Iron Worker

Iron Worker Well-Known Member

Might have to ship it some place. What brand Barrel ? I check around a Brux barrels has the shortest lead time. Plus its a cut rifles bbl.

10. dig

dig Well-Known Member

Thanks, yes contacted Brux also going to look at Shilen. I have several rifles with Shilens and the have always served me well.

Thanks,

11. RJ338

RJ338 Well-Known Member

You haven't said what barrel you used or anything about your smith, fact is even the best smith cannot make a bad barrel shoot (they will replace it though) but a bad chamber job will ruin the best of barrels. I am sorry your gunsmith is no longer in business as he is the one to be talking to. Of all the barrels I have been using, I like the Brux, Broughtons, Rock Creeks, Kreigers and Lothar Walthers. All of these makers will stand behind their barrels as I am sure many others will, talk to them.

12. dig

dig Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reply, the rifle was built a few years back and I should have sent it back at the time but I did not (too many projects), this smith is now out of business/retired but built several accurate rifles for me in the past and was well know. It is a 25 inch shilen barrell, I have have several Shilens that have alway performed. My loads have been very accurate in a freinds stock Winchester as a comparison. If you would PM me on any suggestions for work it would be greatly appreciated.