Hello from Wyoming

Herbie

I just recently signed up after lurking for a bit. I appreciate all the knowledge and opinions you can find here as well as the classifieds etc.
I am currently trying to decide on a cartridge to have a new custom rifle made for which will be used for hunting but not likely any shots over 400-500 yds.
Anyway, hello and Merry Christmas to everyone.

I just recently signed up after lurking for a bit. I appreciate all the knowledge and opinions you can find here as well as the classifieds etc.
I am currently trying to decide on a cartridge to have a new custom rifle made for which will be used for hunting but not likely any shots over 400-500 yds.
Anyway, hello and Merry Christmas to everyone.
What will you be hunting?

Howdy from the desert southwest. Lots of good info here. Your requirements of 4-500 yards can be filled with everything (almost). Give some more info, species for instance and hunting grounds maybe.....

Possibly any North American game save for the big bears.
Have killed many animals with a 270 just Looking for a change-

If you don't reload there are many 6.5, 7mm and 30 cal options off the shelf. Many of these will do you fine.
If you reload, the world is wide open. Any preference to reload or buy boxed ammo?

Also from Wyoming, south west Wyoming specifically. For that range, and just for something different, you could do a tight twist .270 of some flavor to shoot the 170 Berger, like a .270 WSM, .270 Weatherby, .270 Improved, .270 Sherman or Sherman Short, or just sfandard ol .270 and plan on being around 2700 or so with it.

Other good options of course are 7mm rem mag, .280 Ackley, 7mm sherman or sherman short, or if you want a 30 there are planty of options there as well.

I just built a light .338 Norma Mag for specifically long range elk, putting the finishing touches on it, gonna be my winter project and my critter hammer next year!!

For 4-500 yard shots on North American game I would get a 7mm rem mag. 160 accubond and forget about it. Kills elk. Kills mulies. Kills white tails. It just kills stuff... if you load your own I would try the newer Alliant powders like rl23 or rl26. If you don't reload pick up some federal gold metal with 160 grain accubonds. With a .283 sectional density and a g1 .530 BC they are a great all around choice. They expand well down to about 2100 fps. And at higher impacts they hold together good enough to get pass throughs on nearly all angles. Great bullet. If you don't like them for some reason try Nosler partition or Barnes TTSX. All are solid performers I just perfer the accobonds..

Awesome. You really cannot go wrong if you study terminal ballistics on elk to antelope. There is always a compromise in anything. But 6.5 to 30 cal you will discover will get you there. I have 22 cals to 30 cals and never disappoint. If it were my choice, I like the progress of the 6.5's and the 7mm, particularly the 280AI. Just a choice I made for my last build.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.