Hello from PA! 7mm mag info needed

I load 168g berger for my son's 7mm mag with h1000, and my 280ai. My son took a cow one shot drt at 705yds. I have taken elk from 25yds to 580yds with 280ai and berger 168 classic hunters and have always been one shot drt. The classic hunters is what I would try with the free bore of the Weatherby.
Welcome to forum, and the addiction of elk hunting.

Interesting. Can you please help me understand why the Bergers are better for long range and not so great inside 300?
At high velocity non bonded bullets can and will over expand when hitting heavy bone or even muscle, and won't make it into the vitals.
This is from first hand experience, I've seen 3 bulls wounded by Berger and ELDX bullets that were shot in the shoulder inside 200 yards.
I know guys will claim they anchor bulls with Bergers at close range with shots through the shoulder but if that's true they are extremely lucky, and stupid.
If you insist on shooting non bonded bullets at elk up close, make absolutely sure that you hit them behind the shoulder!

At high velocity non bonded bullets can and will over expand when hitting heavy bone or even muscle, and won't make it into the vitals.
This is from first hand experience, I've seen 3 bulls wounded by Berger and ELDX bullets that were shot in the shoulder inside 200 yards.
I know guys will claim they anchor bulls with Bergers at close range with shots through the shoulder but if that's true they are extremely lucky, and stupid.
If you insist on shooting non bonded bullets at elk up close, make absolutely sure that you hit them behind the shoulder!
I agree with your shot placement advice. I shoot for the crease behind the shoulder at 300yds and under, and they have never failed me.

I'm comfortable to about 600 or so. I'll be hunting the eastern plains of Colorado so there is a good chance of a long shot arising. What is your worry with the Bergers? Will they they fragment too much on impact? Would you still stick with the accubond last 500? Thanks in advance.[/QUOTE
Lots of guys love the Bergers for hunting, but I've seen too many recovered animals go way too far with well placed shots. (Notice recovered) quite the opposite in fact too many don't open at all,love them for accuracy, but imo there are bullets that kill better. The accubond has done great and I'd be fine with it out to 600 or so ( you need your ballistics info to determine your range) shot placement, is most important, so if you plan on shooting that far shoot one that shoots good in your gun.
Not sure why you'd listen to me though, apparently I'm the stupid lucky guy that dropped a bull dead in his tracks without a bonded bullet inside 200 yards.
It's good to do your research. I hear an awful lot about wounded animals getting away and people blaming bullets for it I call bs on 90% of that. Most of them gut shot it or missed and can't admit they screwed up a shot with a 4000 dollar set up!!!! That's a tough pill to swallow!! Practice and hit them where you aim and you won't need any excuses.

I appreciate your help. How much of an advantage would I be giving myself if I just gave in and spent the money on a 300 win mag? My local dealer has a Christensen Ridgeline on the shelf that's really tempting right now. A lot of what I read say the 215 Bergers shoot great out of them. Since they aren't bonded, would I be back in the same boat in regards to them not being ideal inside 300 yards? Or does the extra power make up for it? I guess I'm trying to justify whether or not to spend the money or rely on my 7mm mag.

That depends on how your 7mm shoots. If it shoots good, I wouldn't waste your money 7mm is plenty for elk
But if you got money to burn, by all means, go for it.
I've heard good things about the 215, but I've never shot it.

52, the 7 mag will kill your elk easily. Perhaps the money for that new rifle could be channeled to the Vanguard, stock, bedding, trigger, scope and mounts. Your 24" barrel may be a small handicap at very long range, but with a 168gr bullet your 600yd comfort zone will be good as long as you are well practiced with it.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.