Hello from PA! 7mm mag info needed

iorio52

Hi All,

New here and new to elk hunting. I understand that most recommend a .30 cal or bigger for elk, but I currently own a Weatherby Vanguard 7mm mag that I would like to take to Colorado this October if possible. I keep getting a lot of mixed opinions on it.

Can you guys please weigh in on Berger VLD Hunting 180 grain vs. the Nosler Accubond Long Range 175 grain bullets?
Am I better off with the bonded option?
I've pretty much narrowed it down to these 2 but I'm open to any and all suggestions. Thanks for your help.

Welcome to the forum! Elk can be taken with the 7mm Magnum. Shot placement is important as always. I still like the bonded type of bullet. I've had trouble getting the Accubond Long Range to shoot consistently in two applications. If you decide to go with the ABLR and it's not working out then try the regular Accubond.

I drew an Az elk tag this year. 168 Bergers are awesome in 7mm Rem. I've seen a lot of big elk killed with them. If you reload, H1000 is the bomb with the 168's. Good luck.

Hi All,

New here and new to elk hunting. I understand that most recommend a .30 cal or bigger for elk, but I currently own a Weatherby Vanguard 7mm mag that I would like to take to Colorado this October if possible. I keep getting a lot of mixed opinions on it.

Can you guys please weigh in on Berger VLD Hunting 180 grain vs. the Nosler Accubond Long Range 175 grain bullets?
Am I better off with the bonded option?
I've pretty much narrowed it down to these 2 but I'm open to any and all suggestions. Thanks for your help.
I've killed a fair amount of elk and learned that two bullets are really needed.
For shots beyond 300 yards the Bergers are great, inside that use a quality bonded bullet like a 175 partition or tsx.
I always carry a bonded bullet in the mag, and if it's a long shot I'll slot feed a LR bullet in there.
Personally I really like the 180 ELD-M, it's an awesome LR Elk bullet

162 or 175 eld-x is good option if you need another bullet to try. We've taken several elk with them from about 150-900 yards without any problems. Lots of deer and antelope as well, ranging from about 40-900. No failures yet
I've got a bunch of 175 lrab's if you can get them to shoot, I'll sell them cheap!!
How far do you shoot? If you don't shoot much past 400 you have a lot of great options, if you shoot past 500 it starts to narrow down your options a bit.
7mm's are just fine for elk, some like 30's better and there's an argument for bigger bullets that's valid, some like 338's, some like 243's.
You are not under gunned with a 7rm at all.
Out of the bullets you mentioned, I'm shooting the accubond.

162 or 175 eld-x is good option if you need another bullet to try. We've taken several elk with them from about 150-900 yards without any problems. Lots of deer and antelope as well, ranging from about 40-900. No failures yet
I've got a bunch of 175 lrab's if you can get them to shoot, I'll sell them cheap!!
How far do you shoot? If you don't shoot much past 400 you have a lot of great options, if you shoot past 500 it starts to narrow down your options a bit.
7mm's are just fine for elk, some like 30's better and there's an argument for bigger bullets that's valid, some like 338's, some like 243's.

Eldx bullets are good but they are not a substitute for bonded.

My buddy shot a big bull at 280 yards with a 143 ELDx last season, first shot hit rear shoulder and the bullet completely fragmented against the bone and failed to penetrate.
Luckily he got a second shot off and lunged him right before the bull hit the timber.

He almost lost a really nice 6x6 because he didn't think a bonded bullet was needed.
Don't chance it!
There is absolutely no reason not to use bonded bullets on elk for closer ranges.
I put a bull down at 200 yards with a 140 partition right through the heavy shoulder bone a few years ago, it broke the off side leg bone and lodged in the joint.
I guarantee you a non bonded bullet would have failed.. I've seen it

It can happen for sure,
I killed a decent bull last year at about 150 with the 175 eld-x, direct center punch on front shoulder bone, I recovered the bullet on the offside hide. 7x300 win mag with muzzle velocity of 3150.
It completely shattered the front shoulder, destroyed heart and lungs and weighed around 100 grains if I remember correctly.
Not trying to argue, just stating that my experience has been different, but we're talking about two different bullets as well.
I took lots of pictures if anyone cares to see them.
We've taken dozens of animals from 30 to 900 yards and have not had an issue yet. None of these were with the 6.5, and I'm not saying we won't have a problem, but at this point I've seen enough to be pretty confident and any range with it.
There isn't a perfect bullet that i'm aware of, most of the bonded bullets have issues at long range, and many of the long range bullets have issues at close range.
As far as I can tell the eld-x line in .284 and up is a good option if you want one bullet from the muzzle to as far as you care to shoot.
Good luck with it.

It can happen for sure,
I killed a decent bull last year at about 150 with the 175 eld-x, direct center punch on front shoulder bone, I recovered the bullet on the offside hide. 7x300 win mag with muzzle velocity of 3150.
It completely shattered the front shoulder, destroyed heart and lungs and weighed around 100 grains if I remember correctly.
Not trying to argue, just stating that my experience has been different, but we're talking about two different bullets as well.
I took lots of pictures if anyone cares to see them.
We've taken dozens of animals from 30 to 900 yards and have not had an issue yet. None of these were with the 6.5, and I'm not saying we won't have a problem, but at this point I've seen enough to be pretty confident and any range with it.
There isn't a perfect bullet that i'm aware of, most of the bonded bullets have issues at long range, and many of the long range bullets have issues at close range.
As far as I can tell the eld-x line in .284 and up is a good option if you want one bullet from the muzzle to as far as you care to shoot.
Good luck with it.

Really great info, I appreciate your help.

I'm comfortable to about 600 or so. I'll be hunting the eastern plains of Colorado so there is a good chance of a long shot arising. What is your worry with the Bergers? Will they they fragment too much on impact? Would you still stick with the accubond last 500? Thanks in advance.

I've killed a fair amount of elk and learned that two bullets are really needed.
For shots beyond 300 yards the Bergers are great, inside that use a quality bonded bullet like a 175 partition or tsx.
I always carry a bonded bullet in the mag, and if it's a long shot I'll slot feed a LR bullet in there.
Personally I really like the 180 ELD-M, it's an awesome LR Elk bullet
Interesting. Can you please help me understand why the Bergers are better for long range and not so great inside 300?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.