heavy weight calling rifle

rdsii64

I know that a calling rifle should be light weight and easy handling. Now that we have that out of the way. Both my .308 and my .223 weigh upwards of 12 pounds and are equipped with stocks that are best used in the prone position.( I bought them before I took an interest in predator hunting) Until I have the cash to get something more flexible, I am looking for some tips to make the best use of the guns I have.

thanks

Ron

The only way that you are gonna be limitted by using these rifles is by packing the extra weight.And by them being a little slower for running shots.

I dont own a lightweight gun of any kind.And hunting coyotes is my favorite thing to do!!!

Do your stocks have bi pod swivells on them? If so then buy a tall enough bi pod to use when you're sitting. If not then get a pair of shooting sticks.

But i also shoot allot from the prone position while calling.But the shorter sage brush in my a/o allows me to do it.I would imagine that you have a set of bench rest bi pods correct? Affix them to your rifle and cary a set of shooting sticks with you to your sets.That way all shooting positions you might take(prone,sitting) are covered.

Heres a pic of one of the rifles i'm gonna use this year.
[img
DSCN2426.jpg

Hope this helps.

My varmit rifle is at almost 12 pounds as well. I have used lighter rifles but I would not go back to them. If you use shooting sticks you will be fine. The heavy rifle offer much more accuracy and consistancy than the light weights and that is exactly what you need for coyotes and small fox. Just get used to packing a little more weight with you.:rolleyes:

I know that a calling rifle should be light weight and easy handling. Now that we have that out of the way. Both my .308 and my .223 weigh upwards of 12 pounds and are equipped with stocks that are best used in the prone position.( I bought them before I took an interest in predator hunting) Until I have the cash to get something more flexible, I am looking for some tips to make the best use of the guns I have.

thanks

Ron

It sounds to me like you have the right rifles for the job.

I personally like heavy rifles because they are steadier and on moving targets they will
help with follow through after the shot and gig you a better chance for a follow up shot
because they will stay on the target better after the first shot allowing for follow up shots
if needed.

The only down side is carrying it very far.

J E CUSTOM

I will be using a 15lbs 6.5x284 this year and got on Eberlestock pack to carry it. I found this to be good and eazy way to carry that rifle and gear.

The wieght of the gun and gear that you carry into the field to call coyotes is limited to what you are comfortable carrying. Hec, some folks (including myself at times) carry both a scatter gun and a long gun into the field. You have the right rifles for the job.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.