Heavy .308 hunting bullets. what would you want?

What weight and feed ability would you like to see? Mag length or single feed. Or both?

• 245 grain single feed for higher BC

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • 245 grain mag feed, less BC then single feed.

Votes: 3 8.3%
  • 250 grain single feed for nigher BC

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 250 grain mag feed, less BC then single feed.

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • 255 grain single feed for higher BC.

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • 255 grain mag feed, less BC then single feed.

Votes: 3 8.3%
  • Non of the above to heavy!

Votes: 18 50.0%
  • Non of the above to light!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • All of the above! For the ones that like to just cast a vote but don't care... ;)

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • Non of the above got what we need already.

Votes: 10 27.8%

• Total voters
Have you shot game with the new smk's?? I have seen what the 183 does at 7 mag velocities. Lance Kenyon has the same results with the 150 6.5 out of I believe 6.5SS. The nose crumples instead of peeling back to initiate expansion and does a hell of a lot of damage. Peter's 2 deer were shot under 200 yds and he said the smack noise they both made were very distinguishable. The damage done was massive trama on both one just behind the shoulder in the crease the other through the scapula destroying the off should side after smashing through the shoulder joint.
You may want to at least try them on coyotes or wolves or other needs to be shot species before just deciding they don't work for your application. At your velocities with an 8tw .8G1 is a real number. The 183's won't shoot in my 9.125 tw but shot very well in Peter's 8tw 7mag

No I have not shot any with the 230SMK And do not plan to. Those bullets come tipped from the factory and do not have a hollow that's needed to open up. After seeing it I would not even attempt it. I would only IF I was to chuck them up in a lathe and drill out the tip..

If you want I could take a picture showing the difference between the 215 Berger and 230SMK.

Kind of like the "Apollo 13" movie where the guy keeps telling this is what we got.

Earthbound shouldn't have as many issues, factory twist are pretty much stuck-custom slowly moving, cases that launch heavy bullets with high velocity burn barrels, fast twist high velocity may shred jackets. To get there some letting go has to occur. Tough to mass produce bullets that don't sell, and tough for the little guy to spend money on the hope the rest of the package comes together.

Growing pains. This kind of thing can not and will not happen over night. The twist is able to be done. Some company's will make anything you want in reason. Some already offer 1:7 twist .308 barrels. As you are more aware of then me all this stuff is custom for sure. And learning what works and does not come at a cost and take's time.
I have ideas and a cartridge that should launch a 245 to 250 grain @ 3400 FPS plus. Might be a dream. But its a dream no the less. Lapua bolt face..... ;)

I think the barrel situations improved within the last couple of years, but still for the company being all tooled up for a days run of.308 barrels, and shutting down for a one of can be problematic. Overall they're the ones seeing the orders come in for trending.

From the players side, ordering a barrel for a specific bullet, that may be unavailable for any number of reasons, or just not work in the rifle built for it is tough as well.

Growing pains for sure, but I believe something meeting your parameters pretty close is not too far out.

But then again at 64 not as confident in the term "a couple of years"!:rolleyes:

No I have not shot any with the 230SMK And do not plan to. Those bullets come tipped from the factory and do not have a hollow that's needed to open up. After seeing it I would not even attempt it. I would only IF I was to chuck them up in a lathe and drill out the tip..

If you want I could take a picture showing the difference between the 215 Berger and 230SMK.
The closed nose smk expands well the nose crumples in instead of peeling back. Shoot a coyote or something like that end to end. The 183 is made the same way. Your assuming it is like a different product and it is not.

The closed nose smk expands well the nose crumples in instead of peeling back. Shoot a coyote or something like that end to end. The 183 is made the same way. Your assuming it is like a different product and it is not.

No not assuming. I know guys that have tried it and failed to expand right. I will not be useing it unless I can open the tip up. It worked good at high speeds IE lose range. But as soon as it got down low were the 215 still does a great job the 230smk failed.

To those that might be interested Hornady Just released a 250 .305 Target bullet. Its called the A-tip. The reason is it has a aluminium tip. They also have a 230 grain .308 version. The 250 G1 BC is .878 a G7 of .442 The stepped BC are not given yet. the 230 is a G1 of .823 G7 is .414 again no stepped BC yet.

They have .264 cals and .243 cals.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.