Heavy .308 hunting bullets. what would you want?

What weight and feed ability would you like to see? Mag length or single feed. Or both?

• 245 grain single feed for higher BC

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • 245 grain mag feed, less BC then single feed.

Votes: 3 8.3%
  • 250 grain single feed for nigher BC

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 250 grain mag feed, less BC then single feed.

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • 255 grain single feed for higher BC.

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • 255 grain mag feed, less BC then single feed.

Votes: 3 8.3%
  • Non of the above to heavy!

Votes: 18 50.0%
  • Non of the above to light!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • All of the above! For the ones that like to just cast a vote but don't care... ;)

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • Non of the above got what we need already.

Votes: 10 27.8%

• Total voters
What I'd like is longer bullets with a much better form factor rather than heavier bullets. Keep the weight down so as to increase velocity.

The best bullet like that I've seen so far is only a picture posted by Swamplord. It's a 207 gn hollow point tipped copper bullet from Badlands Precision. G7 bc is listed at 0.395. It is nearly 2 inches long and needs 7.5 twist. This bullet will get you 200-300 fps over those 245-255 gn bullets without much if any loss in bc.

I think we'll see hunting bullets like this and I'll be shooting them in a 7 twist 308. Build bullets to use all the twist possible in the bigger calibers like we are now in 22, 25, and 6.5 calibers. They are doing this in ELR target shooting with 375 and 408 calibers that need 7 twists. G1 bc of 1.1 and above.

So what I'd say to the bullet builders is give me all the bc you can for a 7 twist 308. And do it in the lightest, ie sleekest, bullet possible so I can shoot it fast. Velocity is half the equation in down range ballistics. The 245-255 gn bullets sacrifice too much velocity for my liking.

Last edited:
What I'd like is longer bullets with a much better form factor rather than heavier bullets. Keep the weight down so as to increase velocity.

The best bullet like that I've seen so far is only a picture posted by Swamplord. It's a 207 gn hollow point tipped copper bullet from Badlands Precision. G7 bc is listed at 0.395. It is nearly 2 inches long and needs 7.5 twist. This bullet will get you 200-300 fps over those 245-255 gn bullets without much if any loss in bc.

I think we'll see hunting bullets like this and I'll be shooting them in a 7 twist 308. Build bullets to use all the twist possible in the bigger calibers like we are now in 22, 25, and 6.5 calibers. They are doing this in ELR target shooting with 375 and 408 calibers that need 7 twists. G1 bc of 1.1 and above.

So what I'd say to the bullet builders is give me all the bc you can for a 7 twist 308. And do it in the lightest, ie sleekest, bullet possible so I can shoot it fast. Velocity is half the equation in down range ballistics. The 245-255 gn bullets sacrifice too much velocity for my liking.

Its a solid. We are talking cup and core here. That would regardless be a sweet bullet if the BC held up to wait the claim is. Thats better BC then the Berger 195 EOL.

I hear you all on the speed end of things. A bullet like that could be shot 3500 to 3600 FPS in some of the big .30 cals out there. The problem you run into with that is close range performance. With the solids they can manage that better. But its harder with the cup&core bullets.

Keep the ideas coming that what this thread is for!!! I want FEEDBACK! LOL

Another thing to think about is its harder to make a long light HIGH bc cup&core bullet then solid. The nice thing is though. You can make light cup&core bullets and they do not fast twist to run them right.

Its a solid. We are talking cup and core here. That would regardless be a sweet bullet if the BC held up to wait the claim is. Thats better BC then the Berger 195 EOL.

I hear you all on the speed end of things. A bullet like that could be shot 3500 to 3600 FPS in some of the big .30 cals out there. The problem you run into with that is close range performance. With the solids they can manage that better. But its harder with the cup&core bullets.

Keep the ideas coming that what this thread is for!!! I want FEEDBACK! LOL
It's a hollow point hunting bullet not a solid target bullet. But I do know what you are saying, it's a monometal.

Regardless the CNC cut monos might be easier to form with a very sleek nose. Sierra is now making 27 caliber ogive bullets. Maybe the cup and core guys can make a bullet shaped like the 207 gn mono. Most of the long cup and core have too much bearing surface and too little nose length. So what I want is your 255 gn bullet that's been put on a diet by taking 20-30 gn out of the front half giving a much shorter bearing surface.

It's a hollow point hunting bullet not a solid target bullet. But I do know what you are saying, it's a monometal.

Regardless the CNC cut monos might be easier to form with a very sleek nose. Sierra is now making 27 caliber ogive bullets. Maybe the cup and core guys can make a bullet shaped like the 207 gn mono. Most of the long cup and core have too much bearing surface and too little nose length. So what I want is your 255 gn bullet that's been put on a diet by taking 20-30 gn out of the nose giving a much shorter bearing surface.

I wonder if that light of a nose would induce tumbling? I have no idea. That why I wonder.

Sierras new 27 Caliber Ogive bullets have short bearing surfaces. They shoot fast because of that. The 230SMK I have is not much longer then the 215 berger. And that's know to be a short one.

I do think the mono metal copper bullets have an advantage over cup and core. The lighter weight of copper might actually be an advantage. If the very sleek monos will shoot accurately and expand on game, the lighter weight can be an advantage. A 200 or even 180 mono will shoot thru any elk. Improve ballistic performance by improving form not by increasing weight.

I do think cup and core will follow suit. Build me the highest bc cup and core for a 7 twist 308 and keep weight 230 or less.

I think Berger pulled the 155/156 and the 246 after initial testing indicated the B.C's were low. We'll have to wait and see what the revised versions do

I think Berger pulled the 155/156 and the 246 after initial testing indicated the B.C's were low. We'll have to wait and see what the revised versions do

They pulled the 155 it did everything they wanted just not good enough BC for them. They have yet to even design the 156 or 245 per Berger today. They are waiting till they are about caught up with back orders. That's good of them.

Yes the bc is too low because they are designing them for too slow of a twist. Design the 308 for a 7 or 8 twist and they could make some progress.

They designed both the 215 and 230 for 10 twists. The 230 actually has a shorter nose than the 215, 0.859 inches vs 0.872. As a result the 230 has only marginally higher bc and it's burdened with lower velocity. Build the same weight bullets with a 1 to 1.2 inch nose and you'll get a real improvement.

Kind of like the "Apollo 13" movie where the guy keeps telling this is what we got.

Earthbound shouldn't have as many issues, factory twist are pretty much stuck-custom slowly moving, cases that launch heavy bullets with high velocity burn barrels, fast twist high velocity may shred jackets. To get there some letting go has to occur. Tough to mass produce bullets that don't sell, and tough for the little guy to spend money on the hope the rest of the package comes together.

Have you shot game with the new smk's?? I have seen what the 183 does at 7 mag velocities. Lance Kenyon has the same results with the 150 6.5 out of I believe 6.5SS. The nose crumples instead of peeling back to initiate expansion and does a hell of a lot of damage. Peter's 2 deer were shot under 200 yds and he said the smack noise they both made were very distinguishable. The damage done was massive trama on both one just behind the shoulder in the crease the other through the scapula destroying the off should side after smashing through the shoulder joint.
You may want to at least try them on coyotes or wolves or other needs to be shot species before just deciding they don't work for your application. At your velocities with an 8tw .8G1 is a real number. The 183's won't shoot in my 9.125 tw but shot very well in Peter's 8tw 7mag

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.