Heading out in the morning for Dads elk hunt...

Congratulations to Roy on a GREAT elk and to both of you on having a very special hunt. Good thing you've got a big wall to put everything on.

I see at least one of the Allens knows how to smile but geez Kirby, what are we gonna do to with you???:):D:)

Glad your dad got to put a nice bull down after a forty year dry spell. Good going on the fallow as well. Looks like a pretty neat experience. Ah, back to work now.

Festus

Congrats to the both of ya Kirby. Roy, that was a great bull and a wonderful shot, way to go. As Dick said Kirby, it really was plain to see how happy you were over your fallow deer! (yeah, right) Nice hunt with a father and son, how I envy you. See you later,

Jim

Congratulations to both of you.
The time you two spent together, FATHER AND SON, HUNTING, is priceless!!!
And being able to harvest those pretty bucks sure is awesome.
Keep up the good work, and thanks for posting!!!

Congrats to you and your dad Kirby! I just can not imagine why he would be so happy when he walked up to that bull??? LOL... VERY, VERY nice bull! He's got some really impressive daggers too. And like HUAINAMACHERO said, the fahter - son experience is priceless!

Great story and pics...

-MR

Kirby,

Congratulation to you both!

What kind of bullet performance did you get on the 105 gr SMK?

Eaglet,

Sorry for the late reply, just been a zoo trying to bust out rifles for customers in time for hunting season.

To your question about the 107s performance on game. Let me first say that driving these bullets to 3400 fps and targeting 200 lb animals at moderate ranges will severely strain a bullet of this design. I knew that going in so this rifle will never be used on anything but deer size game or smaller.

The shot on the Fallow was around 300 yards and a perfect broadside shot. The impact was several inches behind the shoulder. Entrance wound was a perfect 6mm bullet hole, typcial of match bullets with tighter meplats.

The bullet did not hit a rib on entrance. Both lungs were jelly, litereally nothing left to grab onto and pull out when dressing the buck. The top rear of the heart was split severely.

The Diaphram was ruptured as was the liver and paunch. The remains of the bullet came to rest just under the hide on the opposite side. It had slipped its jacket somewhere in between. This is very typical of a large boattail bullet when driven to high speeds for its design. Unless it has ALOT of bullet weight, its common that you will loose the core. The jacket itself was completely intact. Mangled and turned inside out but it was all there.

For game up to 300 lbs, I was very happy with the performance. I would not however intentionally hunt larger game then this with this combo, its just not a heavier game combo. Not even with stouter bullets would I shoot larger game. For yotes, pronghorn and deer, no problem but thats it.

As far as as shooting at longer ranges at medium big game. This bullet will penetrate better at longer ranges but there is a fine line because if you get to far, you WILL get pen hole penetration with this small diameter SMK. I would limit my shooting on big game to under 600 yards. Just personal preference with this bullet because of the bullet performance with the retained velocity and retained energy of this combo at these ranges.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.