HD or Non HD Swaro STM

Not sure on the spotting scopes but the rep is wrong if he is talking about binos. There is a definite difference in HD and non-hd in my opinion. Either one is great but the difference is noticeable when comparing side by side.

AMEN to that. Bino's and spotting scopes alike.

Just yesterday I drove close to 150 miles one way to a bird watching symposium where MANY different "glass makers" were plying their wares.

Leica
Ziess
Swaroski
Nikon
Celestron...etc..etc...just name it.

My own are Pentax and they are pretty decent in themselves. BUT..they dont hold a candle to the top tier glass makers.

The Swaro's are definitely "something else" and their 50MM Bino's are heavier than HE**. I sure could hang them around my neck and take off hiking. If the Leica's scored 100...then the Swaro's and the Zeiss score a 99 ( you pick the one thats a 98....lol)

I bought the Zeiss but could have afforded any there....just didnt have the heart to spend THAT much on the Leica's or Swaro's.

When i bought my 20-60X80 SWARO spotting scope from Cabelas i gave the sales rep a 20.00 bill to take both the HD and NON-HD Models out side each on a tripod for a test. Time was 5:45 C.S.T. There was no diffrence in the scopes. Bothlooked the same too me outside. I BOUGHT THE NON HD FOR 608.00 less and went to the gun counter and bought a Tikka 243 . marty

Last edited:
I have the Swaro 20-60x80 angled non hd. I got it on sale as the hd was phasing in. Between the sale price, my points, and gift cards it's the best deal I ever got. I was told the same digiscoping story someone else was. I haven't looked at hd, but this scope is the best I've ever looked through. I don't hike much anymore so weight isn't an issue, but I would consider it more of a team scope 1 rifleman 1 spotter, we used it that way on a friends sheep hunt.

I have the Swaro 20-60x80 angled non hd. I got it on sale as the hd was phasing in. Between the sale price, my points, and gift cards it's the best deal I ever got. I was told the same digiscoping story someone else was. I haven't looked at hd, but this scope is the best I've ever looked through. I don't hike much anymore so weight isn't an issue, but I would consider it more of a team scope 1 rifleman 1 spotter, we used it that way on a friends sheep hunt.

And you got one hellofa scope for any amount of money. I lucked out by being somewhere at the right time to see and compare not only model to model but brand to brand.

Clear bright day....very few clouds and the scopes were locked down tight looking at some nesting bird a LONG distance away. And without a doubt I CAN SEE the difference between the HD and non HD versions. That said....because of the ungodly high prices associated with either....Id have to think a long time...or be a recent Powerball Winner...! to go the difference in cost. They didnt put any hangtag prices on the scopes....you had to go and ask....luckily they had a chair to sit in there....:D

If I live long enough for my wife to get retired...I may sell or give awau her Leupold and my Pentax and get the Jumbo bigger HD model for the 2 of us to use...but Ive got Zeiss and one other on the brain too. We'll just have to see what 4 1/2 years brings us..??/

I was hunting scouting woodchucks last week with my 15-20 year old Zeiss binoculars thinking about this thread. Keep in simple guys.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.