Swaro spotting scopes HD or Regular ???

B23

What are the opinions on the HD vs Regular Swarovski spotting scopes?

I'm pretty certain I'm going with the 80 if that has any bearing.

IMHO, non-HD.

hmm... I did look at the 80mm HD and the regular one at Cabela's and thought there was a noticeable differences between them, that may have been the power of suggestion from the guy trying to sell me. I thought HD was brighter and crisper then the regular lens. I'm going back and take another look, you may have saved me a few bucks. Did you compare them side by side?
Also, would you agree the Swarovski series spotters are the best on the market?....... take price out of the equation. I also looked at the Meopta spotter and thought it was verry good.

jbo,
Actually it was Len who made the post. He was coming through on his way to Montana and he checked the site and responded, forgetting I was logged in, instead of him.
You might PM him the thread to make sure he sees it after he gets home or while he is in MT.

Last year I compared the 65 vs. the 80 side by side (both HD's) and the 80 IMO was definately brighter in low light. I didn't compare HD vs. non-HD tho. I went with the 80 HD.

When I was researching before I bought a new spotting scope, I found that the HD glass doesn't make the picture any brighter in low light. It controls chromatic aberration and will make the picture sharper. I believe chromatic aberration mainly becomes a problem if you are digiscoping. If you want to learn a lot about optics, go to one of the bird watchers forums(birdforum.net). My buddy has a Swarovski spotting scope non-HD and it is an awesome spotting scope. I ended up going with a Pentax PF80-ED. With the 20-60 eyepiece, it cost me just over $1000. Added in a tripod and a pistol grip head and total cost was still less than a non-HD Swarovski. Setting my Pentax PF80-ED up next to his Swarovski STS 80, there is no discernible difference in view. Sorry, I know you only asked about Swarovski, but that's how I started and after a lot of research, I ended up with a Pentax. Can't go wrong either way!

This is pretty much what they told me when I ordered it last week. The HD would be better if I was using it to take alot of pictures so non-HD in the 80 is what I ordered with a straight body and 20-60 eye piece.

If this thing is as impressive as my EL's i'm sure i'll be more than happy.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.