Having a 6.5 decision debacle.....

Love how the 6.5 Mauser gets referred back too it's roots killing moose . What most fail to realize is they used heavy round nose bullets and most shots are at very close range. Neither makes it a 600 yard heavy big game cartridge! Want a long range elk gun, get something bigger than a 6.5 anything!

As heavy as you can go. With a light bullet shoot and keep shooting until the animal is down. I have killed more elk than most people. We can hunt elk 6 months out of the year. Damage control. I use 300 grain Accubonds never anything less than 200 grain for a lighter gun like a 300 win mag. Elk are tough to kill. Yes I know you can kill one With a .22 rim fire. I have seen elk killed with a .243 (my son 30 years ago) but I have also tracked elk for miles in the rain and snow. If your going to hunt elk. Get a round that will kill it ethically practice practice and practice some more. A 300 grain round in the vitals will kill an elk. A 300 grain round inn the ham will make,it suffer and die on hillside somewhere or in a wallow. Be smart be proficient be ethical.

What most fail to realize is they used heavy round nose bullets and most shots are at very close range. Neither makes it a 600 yard heavy big game cartridge! Want a long range elk gun, get something bigger than a 6.5 anything!

You're only about 70 years behind in your assessment of moose hunting in Sweden. The heavy, round nose bullets left during the 2 great wars in Europe. Pointed medium heavy bullets replaced them since they were more accurate and efficient when killing moose As backward as you paint them, they have managed to keep up with the advancements in shooting and hunting. So 160 grain RN down to 140 Spitzer/VLDs.

There are 3 ways to hunt moose in Sweden:

- From a tree stand
- With a dog used to drive the moose to you
- Stalking and shooting from a distance deemed acceptable. You have to take a six month course and pass a shooting test before a hunting license is granted.

The density of the forest will often dictate the length of the shot.

Quick facts about Moose in Sweden

Scientific name: Alces alces

How large is a moose? Moose is the largest of all the deer species. They reach 170 – 210 cm height at shoulder. Bulls weigh weigh 380 – 850 kg and cows weigh 200 – 360 kg.

This make a bull nearly one ton (1870 lbs) and almost 7 feet tall at the shoulder (82.67"). Not quite so small either.

However, in Norway, long range shots on moose are not quite as unusual given the terrain.

Little more testing in my 22" proof 6.5 PRC. Looks like this barrel is settling in to 147's at 2890-2910 and 140's at 3030-3050. This test was done at 90F yesterday. There is a range as I am still testing and figuring out what it likes. My 20" creed is running a 140 at 2800 but as the temps rose I had extraction issues so I am slowing it down. I suspect it will be 2730-2770 when done. For me that settles the debate I've been having about the 6.5 PRC and the shorter barrel performance. I wish I could have been able to get a proof prefit in 20" to run with my suppressor but this rifle will be in a folding chassis and my go to for less difficult to terrain. My light weight creed will be my go to for big steep hikes.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.