Bill and Lerchs Wyoming Debacle!!!!!

lerch

<strong>SPONSOR</strong>
Been back for just shy of a week now but as you can imagine workin at a gun store it gets a little busy this time of year and this the only computer i got right now. So to get the story started Fri sept 28 we headed out at 9:00am from the shop here. We loaded up dads ford diesel and hooked on to our 16' trailer and pointed her north. About 2hrs later we were in Woodward OK and we stopped at the wal mart to grab a couple of things and BJ has a revelation, he realizes that he probably didnt bring our maps for the BLM land. So we drag everything out of the trailer and truck and sure enough, no maps but also there is no 338 Edge ammo. After some discussion and alot of cussin we head back to El Reno cause BJ thinks his ammo is at my house. 2hrs later we have dug through my house, his house, and finally find the ammo back at the shop where we started. SO LETS START AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!

Its now 4:00 and we point the truck north, again, and we headed out, again, and 2hrs later we drive through Woodward OK, again!!!! At this time we decided that if we had left any more ammo we would just have to throw rocks at the deer cause we aint turning around again. Now lets fast forward through alot of driving to about 2:30 am saturday morning in northern colorado. I have been asleep for about an hour and a half and its BJ's turn to drive. I wake up to find BJ has chugged and GIANT energy drink and a GIANT mountain dew and now possess freakin cat like reflexes, i'm serious the dude looked like he was ready to get out and run beside the truck he was so wired. We ended up stopping in cheyenne at 4:30am and were up and on the road at 8 the next morning.

Well later that day after a 3hr desperate hunt for a ATV BLM permit we finally leave rawlins and head into the BLM land. After a 45 minute drive we reach McCarty Canyon Rd and head on in. We passed several campers and horse trailers on the way in but nothin that really got us worried. We crossed the continental devide and neared Rendell Butte and found us a little aspen grove about 50 yds off the main road to camp by for the nite. Our original plan was to pack out a lot and really try to get way off the roads, (Len we need a smiley that is beating himself in the head with a brick cause it would fit great here)

After setting up the tent we broke out the swaro spotter and did a little glassing. Deer everywhere, and we saw a decent 4x4 and a nice bull elk. SO our spirits were high and after eating a nice mountain house meal i wormed into my sleepin bag with my 45 1911 at my side. Now here i will tell you that we werent really in bear country but to a 26yr old red neck kid from OK ALL THAT LAND UP THERE LOOKS LIKE BEAR COUNTRY!!!! I had decided long ago that if a bear gets me i may die but your gonna find him layin next me dead as well. So now you see why i got the 45 next to my bed. Well unknown to us that nite it started snowing, ALOT. About 3am i am layin on my back and i guess i kicked my long legs out against the side of the tent and 30lbs of snow smashes down on my feet. Now all i know is something heavy has just hit my legs and is on them and wont move, take a wild guess what goes through my simple mind, BEAR ATTACK!!!!:eek: I do a quick sit up and grab the 45 and prepare to unleash 230grs of SXT hell on the side of our tent, but just as quickly i realized it was snow and went back to sleep. yea im only mildly handicapped

This is what we woke up to the next day, this is camp and our ATV
Wyominghunt2007003.jpg

Here are a few shots from around camp
Wyominghunt2007007.jpg

Wyominghunt2007004.jpg

And here is the big draw dierectly in front of our camp, you see a small rise in the middle of the picture. it is a area we hunted on a few times and the scene of some upcoming excitment!!!
Wyominghunt2007005.jpg

Well spent all of sunday scouting and noticing several more people driving in. We selected the ridge we were gonna hunt on monday morning and went to bed early full of excitiment for the upcoming day. About 4am we awoke to find out that we had actually camped next to a interstate highway at rush hour!!!!! there was a constant line of cars and trucks driving into our area. At dawn we made our way up to the ridge fighting the constant 25mph wind and set up the spotter and our equipment. As the sun broke the horizon it made for a beautiful sunrise on the partially snow covered hills and aspens. Unfortunantly that was broken by the wail of 3 sets of ATV's bearing down on 5 deer running for their lives across the top of one plateau. This pretty much went on the whole morning though we did see lots of deer and some elk, bad news is that all of them were in 5th gear and headed for cover.

That nite we hunted the ridge in the last pic above. We sat up on the little saddle about 75yds off the road. Normally we wouldnt ever be this close to the road but from this spot we could cover 4 different aspen groves so we liked the spot. About 1hr after we set up i noticed a truck driving the top of the ridge and im thinking SOB!!! about 2 min later the truck guy starts honking his horn and then BLAMM!!!! 9 shots later that had just killed a nice 4x4 700yds from us. So by now we are getting a little frustrated if you can imagine. Well darkeness comes and we load up the gunslinger packs and start back to camp. I heard some ATV's farther back in the canyon coming our way but didnt think much about it. Im leading the way with my APS 270AM in my pack on my back, mid step, left foot coming back down into the sage brush and WWHHHZZZZZZZZZZZZ:eek: past my left ear!!!!!!!!!!! Before the sound of the gun shot had made it to us me and BJ were both in mid air diving to the ground. Now i aint used to being shot at so i dont know how far away it was but i heard the bullet cutting the air just off my left side, the sonic crack, the bullet hit the aspens we are camped in, and then the gun shot!! ANyway we both hit the ground, me on the back of my pack on my rifle, and were screaming at these guys on the ATV and then WWHZZZZZ WHZZZZZZZ over us again!!!!! By this time i have my orange hat waving in the air and i yelled to the guys "if you shoot one more time im gonna return fire and i wont f----ing miss!!!!!!" the atv's came around the bend and i jumped up and ran down towards them with my arms in the air. Im asked the guy what the hell he was shooting at and says some deer. I wont get into all the language but i guarantee you i would have made Eddie Murphy blush!!!
Part two in a minute.................................

Last edited by a moderator:
We make it back to camp and i calm down, a little, i calmed down the rest of the way with some crown and coke and a nice pinch of red grizzly snuff . The next morning brought 50mph winds in the bottoms so huntin wasnt worth much. Fast forward to wednesday evening and we are on the same saddle we got shot at on. 4:30 comes around and out walks a little 4 pointer about 430yds away. BJ is chomping at the bit to kill something and we are both pretty disgusted with the way our hunt has turned out with all the people here. I told him that this early in the day we could have him cleaned and hung way before dark. Well that talked him into it. Ranged him a 430yds, ACI gave a of around 15deg up hill, wind .5 value from the right at 20mph. I settled in behind the swaro spotter and BJ let the big 338 Edge bark. I followed the trace all the way to the deer, he was quatering away walking up hill. The bullet took him even with the offside shoulder in a massive puff of grey hair. The buck spun to his right a little and then whirled back to his left spraying the sage with blood. And it was over quick as it started. We hiked up to the buck, this elevation crap aint easy on a country boy, and upon inspection found bits of deer blown up to 8 yds uphill from the animal!!!! 338 Edge does a little damage. We got the buck bac kto camp and butchered him up in the morning. here are some pics of the damage done by the 300gr SMK.

Wyominghunt2007022.jpg
This is the entrance wound.

Wyominghunt2007023.jpg
The entrance wound on the inside of the chest cavity.

Wyominghunt2007024.jpg
The exit from the inside.

the next day we had some guys from Ohio move into our little grove with us and they were amazed that we were butchering our own meat, come to find out they drove every animal they killed all the way back to rawlins to the meat processors. Anyway after a couple of missed shots at 860yds me and BJ had a feeling something had gotten jarred around in my scope. I actually shot it last nite and sure enough my once 100yd zero was now 2" high!!!! So the week winded down and by saturday morning we were loading up the truck and heading back south with only one small deer. Defiantly not what we had in mind but like i said it was a hell of a learning experince and the last time i go to a unit with that many roads in it. I am now a firm believer in the saying "if you can drive a truck or ATV there, So can they!!!!!"

All in all it was alot of fun but things definantly could have gone better. We lived off of mountain house freeze dried meals for the whole week and while they taste pretty darn good, a steak and cold beer is a HELLLLLLLLLUVA lot better

here are some pics of the country and a doe and fawn we saw bed down one day, you can imagine what the doe is lookin at cause about 30 sec after i took the pic a hail of bullets came down the timber line towards her, she did escape though.
Wyominghunt2007013.jpg

here are some pic off of one of the ridges we hunted alot
Wyominghunt2007011.jpg

Wyominghunt2007020.jpg

If i didnt have bad luck i wouldnt have any luck at all!!!

steve

thanks for all the great pix and story. it wasn't what you expected but hunts don't quite measure up sometimes. at least you were in a tent, with good company and away from it for a week.a lot to be said for that!

Lerch:

Welcome to what hunting out west can be like at times. Roads usually mean people, and people during hunting season usually means idiots.:):)

Sounds like you had some good times and some not so good times. Next time you guys better bring some body armor with you.;)

Next time you'll know what to change and what to do different. A week is kinda cutting it short for all you did, especially all of the sightseeing in Woodward.:D

Looks like the Edge didn't have any problems putting the little mulie down.

Good write up and pic. Any shots of BJ's buck's horns?

"Any shots of BJ's buck's horns?"

Are you kidding??? I thought he was a doe @ 400 yds w/8x binocs. The only reason that little sucker was alive was because most folks probably just dismissed him as a doe!!! Those pics will only get posted if I lose a bet or something :)!!

At least you showed some restraint with the idiots who shot at/over you. I don't know if I would have been that nice.

Wow - nice story.... Those guys shooting at you though... I salute you being able to not pull up and shoot back or doing much more to them once you got to them because I probably would have done more to them once I got face to face.

I Know The Feeling Of What You Went Through With The 4 Wheelers. I Left My Camp In Colorado One Year And Was Walking A Old Road On A Ridge That Went Out About 3 Miles. The Road Was Barracaded And Posted "no Vehicles Beyond This Point" But That Didnt Stop 17 4 Wheelers And 2 Dirt Bikes And A Jeep From Flying Past Me A The Crack Of Daylight, This Was After I Had Made It Nearly To The End Of The Road. Never Been Back To That Spot Since.

Lerch:

Welcome to what hunting out west can be like at times. Roads usually mean people, and people during hunting season usually means idiots.:):)

Sounds like you had some good times and some not so good times. Next time you guys better bring some body armor with you.;)

Next time you'll know what to change and what to do different. A week is kinda cutting it short for all you did, especially all of the sightseeing in Woodward.:D

Looks like the Edge didn't have any problems putting the little mulie down.

Good write up and pic. Any shots of BJ's buck's horns?

I call places like this with all these people a "pumpkin' patch!"

In all reality though there is nothing i hate more than atv-road-huntin bullet launching at 600 yards off-hand at "some deer i saw" hunters. Well maybe i hate the full on anti-gun type a bit more but it's pretty close.
I now buy forest service maps with very good detail and with all the roads. then i look at the map and hike my *** into a spot that is the farthest from any roads. this makes the hunting much better but hiking out the meat sure sucks!

By the way, thanks for the great story and pics!

Yea it was dang nice to get away from work for a week, cant complain about that

Dave you gotta be outta ur mind if you think BJ is good company:eek::D:D

LOL, he aint all that bad and he got us up there quick, sucker drove all but 90mph any time he was behind he wheel!!!!!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.