Have a sa with mag bolt, what do i build?

Indypendent

I have a Surgeon/Proof 6.5cm and a CA Ridgeline 300wm. What should I build with this SA action/mag bolt?

I plan to do a Proof barrel and maybe an Iota stock.

I was thinking 6.5PRC but give me some other ideas please.

Seeing as you have 6.5 and .30 covered then go up to .338;

338 SHERMAN SHORT
The 338 Sherman Short is the new kid on the block that is gaining a lot of attention with hunters desiring a true short action rifle that can deliver over 2 tons of muzzle energy, and double as a long range weapon when you hit the open areas! A 250 Berger EOL with 2800 fps mv, for example, delivers 4363 ft/lbs of muzzle energy and still carries over 1700 ft/lbs of retained energy at 1000 yards with only 25 moa of scope correction. All this with a maximum coal of 2.970" make this a true do all package. 200 grain bullets like the Accubond can be launched at over 3100 fps. With 200+ grain monos, like the Hammer or Barnes offerings, this rifle becomes a "bear in the alder patch" rifle with impressive numbers and quick handling! With the efficiency that this cartridge offers, shorter than normal barrels will deliver the load!

Powders ranging from Varget to H100V will be best suited, depending on bullet weight, with RL17 range giving top velocities with the heaviest loads. i.e. 61-62 grains of RL17 approx 2800 with a 250 Berger.

Head stamped brass expected May 2019

Last edited:
You might take a look at the 270 WSM, they are known for accuracy. Plus the new 6.8 bullets are made to fit the AR-15 mag.
Ed

Why does "The 6.5 PRC make the most sense"? He already has a 6.5 CM.
.264"
.284"
.308"

A good 7mm fills that gap between .264" and .308" very nicely. Plus allows for a much heavier range of high BC bullets to be shot if desired. The 7SS was designed to fit in a true SA while leaving room to seat the bullet out to allow room for the heavier long bullets to not take up too much case capacity, the 40* shoulder is very efficient as well.

You might take a look at the 270 WSM, they are known for accuracy. Plus the new 6.8 bullets are made to fit the AR-15 mag.
Ed
How is any particular cartridge known for accuracy over another cartridge, when accuracy has more to do with the gun and the consistency of the ammunition, than the cartridge design itself?

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts