Has anyone loaded for an LR308 with AA4064?

Noidly1

I have been on several forums and haven't found anyone that has loaded for an LR308 with AA-4064 powder, only with IMR-4064.
I'd like to get something close to the right load that I can start with and work up/down to match my barrel and not waist 100 rounds doing it.

I have 4 different loading books and they very widely.

I have tried several gun show reloads 165gn green plastic tips (it liked), NATO 14x's reloads (it did not like), new/old NATO M118SBLR's (junk imo), FGMM 168's (these were ok) and FGMM 175's (It really liked). I have a box of new Winchester NATO 149's I want to try JFS's...
Since it likes the 175 FGMM's and that is what the military uses, M118LR's, That is what I am trying to copy.

I'd like to get a load that will work with my 175s and some 178 ELD-Xs or other 175 to 180 hunting bullets.
I have a bunch of 175's to mess with and want to get about a 100 for hunting. If I have to tune for the hunting rounds separately, would I be just as good with boxed hunting rounds rather that waist reloads just to tune for a few?

My setup has a 20" Ballistic Arms Fluted barrel. Similar to the one below.
https://www.ballisticadvantage.com/...ifle-length-ar-308-barrel-premium-series.html

I am using the following supplies that I could get at the time.
FC brass
Federal standard 210 primers
SIE HPBT 175 grn bullets
Accurate 4064 powder.

I'm sure I missed something but anyway,
TIA

Last edited:
I started at 42gr and went up in .5 increments up to 45.5gr. I never found a load worth keeping, so I just loaded it up for close range steel shooting.

I was using the same components you are. Ended up using IMR4166

matt

165 and 150gr ballistic tips shot good .. 150s were best for me but with imr4064. i couldnt get the 175 where i wanted em either ..maybe a twist issue

Last edited:
corrected link.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.