Harris Bipod Update

Ian M

Just got a new Harris bipod and they have changed the bolt that puts tension on when you secure it onto the stock. Instead of a cross-slot that bolt now has an allen-type recess in the center and a large serrated outer head that makes hand-tightening doable. This is a good idea, makes a great bipod even better. This switch was implemented a year ago.

Not sure if you guys are aware but Outers is marketing an identical bipod now, only difference is the "Made In China" stamped on the bottom.

Ian, You know I don't like stuff made in China. How much for them?
grin.gif
J.

.. Did they ever put something more user friendly on them for adjusting the tension in the swivel.??
.. A few years back I bought a couple of thumbscrews from Home Depot for use in the mounting bracket.. Since then my quarters have stayed in the change tray.!! d:^) JiNC

Jay,
Not sure about a price but I would bet they are cheaper - they won't have HARRIS on them will they. Anything designed and made in Barlow, Kentucky by a bunch of real nice people is worth stickin with.

Jake, if you are talking about maintaining the tension on your swiveling bipods there are two ways that I know of. First is a kit that is available from Brownells that has a small washer-type spacer and a machine-tool handle. You simply remove the knurled knut and put on the spacer and then the handle. Lets you set the tension very easily and holds good.
Second is to simply order one of those little machine-tool handles thru a machine-shop or machine tool supplier, grind an 1/8th of an inch off that central bolt (means you have to take the assembly apart) and then re-assemble and put the tool handle on instead of that nut.
First way is simple, no dis-assembly and grinding, someone has found the necessary parts and packaged them for you. Second is much cheaper and not very difficult if you have a Dremel or grinder, but you have to track down the little handles.
You can "park" the little handles so that they are not in the way (pull the handle outward and re-position it where you like it).
If you would like to see this setup I can send you a jpeg, no idea how in hell to post pictures.
I would not use a swiveling Harris without this modification.

For those with the older "original" Harris bipods, get a Tank's Speedy Knob from Brownell's to replace that little cross-slotted attachment screw. 100% better than OEM, and only a few bucks. Sounds like Harris is now putting something similar on at the factory.

Guys,
I have never seen the Tanks knob, but from the pictures it looks very much like the one now being factory installed. The Pod Loc is what I was referring to about the little locking handle for swiveling models. That idea is a great one, works so well you will not want to use a bipod without it.
Saw the imported bipod today - it is a direct copy only 10-20 bucks cheaper of course.

I use a stainless steel eye bolt on all my Harris bipods. Easy to tighten with bare hands or stick a pen in it. I use the swivel knob from Sinclairs also.

Russ

Does anyone know how much weight a bipod like that would handle? An example would be when Darryl was describing a .408 rifle he planned to build would weigh 65 pounds. Do you suppose there would be any problems or is there another bipod you suggest? Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.