Which Harris Bipod Model

Discussion in 'Equipment Discussions' started by captainjoe, Jun 2, 2011.

1. captainjoe

captainjoe Well-Known Member

I am interested in buying a bipod for a rifle project. I am curious which models members have chosen and why. Any advice greatly appreciated!

2. rscott5028

rscott5028 Well-Known Member

I like the Harris "S" series to make it easier to level the crosshairs on uneven ground. I have one that's really hard to tighten the swivel on. I need to get a pod-lock to help with that.

I also prefer the shorter bipods in the 8-12" range. If I'm shooting prone, I like to be down low.

In flat country, that's not always possible. So, I usually carry a set of sticks and/or a Stoney Point tripod with the Tag-along.

Genuine Harris is worth the extra $ in my opinion.

-- richard

3. captainjoe

I wrestled with whether to go for the locking or not locking version, but also the height. In the end, I decided to go with the 9 to 13, rather than the 6 to 9 version because of my hunting conditions. I also went for the 'S' version and bought a pod-lock from E. Arthur Brown. Because I could adjust the cant with the 'S' version, I went for the notched legs.

Who would have guessed there were so many options for a simple device? :) The only thing I am presently concerned about is whether I should have gone for the shorter bipod. If it turns out I need a shorter one, I'll just have to buy another and then have two!

Thanks for advice.

4. rscott5028

rscott5028 Well-Known Member

It doesn't matter which one you get.

When you need it most, you'll wish you had the other one.

Happy hunting.
    Richard

5. hamr56

hamr56 Member

I prefer the 6-9inch notched leg for the bench. However when hunting where the grass maybe taller I go with the 9-13 notched leg. In my experience I have found the smooth leg version difficult to get each leg even in a hurry.

6. captainjoe

That is certainly the truth! I had to laugh.