Hard time with my 300rum

Shoot'n Hogs

I am having a heck of a time finding the right load combo for my 300 sendero.
I am trying to shoot the horady sst 180gr.
I have tried different col's, powder, powder wght, and primers.
What I am wanting to do is use this bullet for my general hunting and shooting and save my barnes triples for the occasional hunt (expensive).
If any one has any load data, it will be gladly noted.
Oh yeah, the best that I can bring the sst's in is about 1.25".

I agree with Dakor. Sometimes you just have to "scrap" a bullet. The sst bullet has been somewhat finicky from what I've seen. I have a .308 that likes good old plain hornady spitzers far better than the sst. Yet I have seen some glowing reports especially on the 165 sst's. The plastic tipped bullets look cool but their ballistics really aren't that much different than other boattails--at least not our to 3-400 yds.

From all the load testing I've done, I'm going to tell you what I wish someone would have told me. If you shoot a Sendero, all you'll need is Nosler bullets and a Nosler reloading manual. Whatever Nosler bullet you use, go to the manual and find the most accurate load and use that powder. Don't waste your money reinventing the wheel.

I'm not a spokesman for Nosler either.

Ronnie

I believe the 300 RUM Sendero has a 1:10 twist factory barrel, and those bullets might be a little too light to properly stabilize with that twist. You might want to move up to a 220 gr. bullet and give that a try.

Andrew

how do you come to the conclusion that the lighter bullets will not properly stabilise? over stabilisation is not really an accuracy problem worth speaking about unless you are br shooting surely, or unless you are blowing them apart with too much twist and velocity?

derek

He mentioned he was having a problem. I am suggesting trying a heavier bullet. The 10 twist barrels like the heavier bullets. After all the BS he's been thru it might be worth a try.

He was given a few good suggestions. I had a similar problem with mine, the heavier bullets helped.

Do yourself a favor and get the Nolser 200gr Accubond. The BC is .588 and it will be all the bullet you need and they shoot great!!!

I use 86gr of R-22 behind a 200gr Accubound and a Rem. mag. primer. Shoots .6in 5 shot groups at 100 yards out of my Sendero!!

Bullet seated at 3.625. Clocked them a tad bit over 3100fps. This combo should work in your rifle.

You may want to check these areas out before burning any more powder.

have you removed the pressure hump in the forend and properly bedded the action? Scope bases and rings tight? Scope with no parallax that will hold zero? Magnification/resolution high enough so that you can see a pen line at 100yds?

Are you sizing you brass for little to no runout? how about after seating? Are you working up your loads in 1/2 grain increments? Weighing your charges to 1/10 of a grain or better? Using a quality powder like H1000, Retumbo, Re 22 or similar? How about match primers?

These little things make a huge difference in how a rifle performs. Make sure that the rifle will shoot the type of accuracy you want. Some factory barrels aren't sub MOA no matter what is fed.

I use SST's in a wide variety of rifles and bores. Never had them not shoot IF the rifle was up to it.

However, rifles are not an exact science so try the ballistic tips. They are certainly an excellent bullet. Maybe that's all it will take.

Jerry

grin.gif
Another satisfied customer!!
wink.gif
I'm glad it worked out for you. I'm working on two more loads Docnoker I will let you know after I test them. It might be about two weeks or so my rifle is in the shop getting a trigger job done and I just order a new Leupold VX-II 3-9X50 from Midway with the German #4 reticle that I like so much.

The first load is a 220gr MK w/IMR-7828 AND the second is a 180gr Accubond w/R-22 they should shoot good but i will have to wait and see. I like the heavier bullets in this gun/cal. I'm going to kick the crap out of a bear this year with that Accubond!! Talk to ya later.

[ 09-03-2004: Message edited by: Tommy B ]

[ 09-03-2004: Message edited by: Tommy B ]

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.