Range report for my 300RUM

freebird63

Well today the Idaho weather was a little better then the last couple days.
Got out to the desert and the wind was blowing about 10-25mph from the Southwest, so the way I was shooting it would push my bullets to the left.
200 yards is going to be my zero so thats where I started. I had loaded some ammo that would just barely fit in my magazine and some that was real close to the lands. The rounds that were loaded close to the lands shot the best, the two loads that shot the best were 185gr bergers and 190gr bergers and then a close third were the 208gr hornady Amax. The powders I tried were Hodgdon H1000, Retumbo and Hodgdon US 869. Ok now it was real cold out there, it started to snow just as I was leaving. On the 185gr and 190gr I was shooting 5 shot groups, had a couple where the holes were touching each other. The Hodgdon US 869 was shooting very low, didn't even hit the target, I figure that was because of it being so cold??
I know that Retumbo and H1000 are on Hodgdon's extreme powder list. I also have Ramshot magnum but didn't try any of that today.
Now I have to figure out if that Wyatt extended magazine is going to get me close enough to the lands to make it worth the expense. I also need to work on my breathing, thats always been the hard part for me is to control my breathing when I shoot. Also my trigger is set for 3lbs, I think I am going to try and get that down to 2lbs.

I dont know much about your powder situation, but getting bullets to touch at 200yds in a 10-25mph wind, and having to do it with a 3 lb trigger, is a pretty big chore! congrats! Good job

You would not believe how much money I have spent on reloading supplies. Heck before I even shot my new gun I took it to a gunsmith and had it worked over and everyone couldn't believe I would do that with a brand new sendero, but I am a firm believer in knowing exactly where my gun shoots cause I don't want to get out in the field hunting and having any doubt in me or my equipment, its not fair to the game, the last thing I want to do is wound an animal and lose it and not know if its dead or out there suffering. Yes I would like to know where my gun shoots at 1000 yards, but that doesn't mean I would ever shoot at an animal at that distance, I know some people do. I know I have a lot more work to do to get where I want to be come hunting season.
Components I have used, Berger 30cal-155gr,168gr,175gr,185gr,190gr and 210gr. Hornady 208gr Amax.
Powders- Hodgdon Retumbo, H1000, US 869, Ramshot Magnum, Alliant RX 22 and want to get some RX 25.
But as of right now I am torn between the Berger 185gr & 190gr and Hornady 208gr Amax.
For powders I think its going to be between Retumbo & H1000.

I don't own a chrono, wished I did. I am going out south of the prison. If the military is not out there playing war games then you have lots of area to shoot. Also with this nasty weather its quite muddy out there, spent more time cleaning my truck then my gun. So now I have to decide if I am going to take it back to the gunsmith and have a wyatt extended magazine put in. Might go talk to him today. But then I am also thinking about giving nosler accubonds a try????? have always had good luck with them

Freebird- what loads did you use with 208 Amax...H1000 and Retumbo? Which shot the best? Also, what loads with the 190 Berger's?

My Sendero likes 180 Accubonds and 96.0 grains of RE-25. FYI.

Thats a funny subject. On most of the loads I used H1000. I was more experimenting with the seating issue. I will be honest with everyone I didn't do a very good job. I have been over thinking this whole thing. But the funny part about it was I had seen some good loads for the 208 Amax using US 869, well apparently US 869 is temp sensitive cause I didn't even hit the target and it was very cold, started snowing as I was leaving.
I did come to the conclusion that my gun has a liking for the 185gr & 190gr bergers. I just loaded up some new loads and played more with the seating of the bullets. I had a very lengthy talk with my gunsmith and first thing he told me was to bring my targets back to 100 yards as I was shooting at 200 yards. Later on that will be my zero. But I have a feeling the next trip out to the desert will behold some amazing groups. I also am going to have my trigger worked down a bit more as I just don't like 3lbs. So everyone stay tuned as soon as this Idaho weather makes up its mind to be nice I will make a trip out, might even take the camera and make some video's of my shooting??? I am feeling alot better then I have been. Keep your fingers crossed.

off the top of my head I can't remember the load i used for the 208 Amax's, but the loads I am working on now are 185gr berger with 96gr retumbo and 190gr berger with 95.5gr retumbo.
But between trying to develop a load for my gun, take care of my wife who just had hip surgery, take care of an 11 & 15 daughters, look for a job as I am unemployed and not over do it because I have major back problems. Can you say full plate.

Freebird, be careful with that trigger if you still have the stock external screw type. I took mine just below 3 lbs and it wouldn't pass the safety test. The hammer would drop when taking the safety off. Remington recommends a minimum of 3-1/2 lbs.

Funny, I shoot just east of the prison by the big powerlines. Have a chony if you want to check it out.

I'll be going out one of these mornings to try the 1k mark with a 270.

That mud really sucks, it's like glue.

I usually go farther out so I can get away from all the others that are just shooting anything and everything. I found a fairly nice spot where I should be able to get a 1000 yard shot. I don't think I can go out til this saturday. My wife just had hip surgery so I take care of her and have kids to take to school, so the weekends right now are best for me. I loaded up 15-185gr bergers at different depths, same powder charge and then I also loaded up 15-190gr bergers and the same powder charge for them. Different powder charges for different bullets. Hope that made sinse???
My gunsmith wants me to shoot these at 100 yards to find out which one is going to shoot best, then he will work on the magazine and am not sure if he's just going to put in a new trigger or work over the present one. This guy knows Remingtons extremely well.

Tried the 210's yet?
I have a box for a future project. Been thinking about building a Custom Sako 300WM, RUM, or 30-378. I could part with a few if you want to try them.

Saturday is the Gun show....and I'm hot and heavy on finding parts for my build, but I'm open almost any morning as I'm self employed.

oh ya the gun show. I have spent so much money on reloading gear. all total I bought a box of 155gr bergers, 1 box of 168gr bergers, 1 box of 175gr bergers, 3 boxes of 185gr bergers, 1 box of 190gr bergers, 1 box of 210gr bergers, 1 box of 208gr hornady Amax. 10,000 federal 215 primers and the list goes on.
I am unemployed so thats why i have so much free time. I spend alot of time out in my reloading room.

It was such an awesome afternoon here in Idaho I decided to go out and try out the loads I made up yesterday. The first were 185gr berger's, I loaded 3 of each, first 3 were seated at the lands, the next 3 were .010 off the lands, the next 3 were .050 off the lands, the next 3 were seated .090 off the lands and the next 3 were seated .130 off the lands. They shot pretty good. The next bunch I loaded were 190gr bergers, it was the same as the 185's, at the lands, .010 off the lands, .050 off the lands, .090 off the lands and .130 off the lands. I was shooting at 100 yards as per my gunsmiths advice. The 3 that were .010 off the lands were all in the bullseye and touching each other, so I am considering that my new favorite load and will work up from there. I was going to post a picture but it looks to be a little bit involved to post pictures here. So in a couple weeks when I take my gun to my gunsmith, he will be installing a wyatt extend magazine and either working up the present trigger or putting in a jewell trigger, all I know is the 3lb. pull I have now I don't like. But I think I continue to work up that load, its going to be a killer load for me. Before long I will be hitting my target at 1000 yards. Now I just need to save up some money and buy some more 190gr bergers cause I think I am going to need them.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.