Handloading Change

wildcat

I have always used Redding Dies and an RCBS Rockchucker press for my reloading needs. Well, I have decided to finally switch over to Wilson Dies and the Arbor press for reloading. I have always been told Wilson dies are the best way to precision reload, other than using custom dies. I look forward to using them and hearing from those who do too.

W.

I hope you don'e plan on full-size rezing anythign bigger then a .308, as the arbor press (at least none of the ones that I looked at) does not have much in the way of leverage. Other then that, I've considered doing the same thing for my neck-sizing and seating for a long time.

JeffVN

Wish you good luck. But, for what little I've seen of them, using BR type methods and tools really has little or no practical value unless you are shooting a serious BR type rifle with a tight chamber. Factory rifles/chambers do as well with your previous gear as they do with ammo from hand dies and arbor presses.

The Wislon is a neck sizing bushing type die that doesn't use and expander so you need the proper size bushing to hold the bullet. I've got acouple of the Redding type S neck die and use the smaller expander furnish with the die and I haven't notice any difference if comparing against the Wilson die. Also with the Wilson at some point you will have to resize or set the shoulder back so don't get rid of the Rockchucker as you will need it.

I got started using the Wilson dies when I got into BR and was able to load at the range back then Neil Jones was making shoulder bumping dies for either the arbor or thread press and I got afew of them but at $200 per set now maybe alittle high for some shooter.

For many years I would order a set of Wilson/Jones and a body die for resizng the last few years I've been using the Redding Bushing die neck/full length sizer and Wilson for seating the bullet at the range as I can make adjustment for seating depth and if a load doesn't show promise I don't have to pull bullets etc. I pre load all my powder and just turn the bullet point down in the case keeps the powder from spilling out.

My last set of Wilson dies they enclosed a new notice they no longer give life time warranty it just one year to orginal owner with proof of purchase and they use to custom fit the die free of charge but I'm not sure if that is offered anymore.

I've been using a Redding Type S Small Base Sizer for my tight neck 6ppc rifles and the Wilson seater. Well good luck

I use the wilson dies a bunch, dont see any magic with them, but they work very well. I usually end up shortening mine so that they size the entire neck.
Do not get rid of your rock chucker your going to need it for your shoulder bump back and small body dies. I have recently started foregoing the wilson dies and just getting the redding s type bushing dies.
If you want a press that does it all for shorter cartridges take a look at the harrels combo press. It is very portable and does both type dies. I think hood came up with the design, but no longer makes them.

Thanks for the information guys. I am keeping my RockChucker press and I have a brand new set of Redding Type "S" Comp. 300 WSM dies. The set comes with a Body Die, Comp Seater and Neck die for bushing use. I will probably keep the body die and sell the other two.

W.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.