Handgun Groundhogs/rock chucks

WV Hitman

I include both these animals together since they are the same and I've about taken care of most WV groundhogs (15,600+).
20230929_173833.jpg
Been going to Idaho for the rock chucks for 5 years. This year was not as great as last year (703 total) due to the brutal winter in ID. I did, however, put up a decent year.
The thing about all these numbers is they're 100% handguns since I don't own a rifle.
Took most of these with a .223 Contender & .22-250 XPR-100, but a few were taken with a 6mmAI Encore, .250 Sav. AI XP-100, .475 Linebaugh, .454 Casull, .44 Mag. Using these bigger calibers makes shooting larger game easier with the practice of those guns.

In WV I prefer the SSK midgrip because there as many groundhogs as in the past. Don't have to reload a lot.
In ID I prefer my original Rem. XPR rear grip because I shoot so much and so often at the rockchucks because I'm shooting almost nonstop each day. This year I killed 64 rockchucks in 2 1/2 hours! The 4 in the magazine & 1 up the pipe makes life simplier.
Both my SSK & Rem. .22-250s are extremely accurate (1/2"@100). I was afraid of the wind in ID originally & took a 6mmAI & .250 Sav.AI handguns, but found it wasn't really that bad.
Now I shoot exculsively Nos. 40 gr. BTs in my XPR & .223 Contender that I take to ID to let the XPR rest a little.
With the rear grip I get a little better sight picture in the scope. I use only Burris 3-12 BPlex scopes in all my handguns from .223 to .375/.284. Only had 2 problems out of 15 scopes in 30+ years. Burris replaced both free.

I include both these animals together since they are the same and I've about taken care of most WV groundhogs (15,600+). View attachment 505971Been going to Idaho for the rock chucks for 5 years. This year was not as great as last year (703 total) due to the brutal winter in ID. I did, however, put up a decent year.
The thing about all these numbers is they're 100% handguns since I don't own a rifle.
Took most of these with a .223 Contender & .22-250 XPR-100, but a few were taken with a 6mmAI Encore, .250 Sav. AI XP-100, .475 Linebaugh, .454 Casull, .44 Mag. Using these bigger calibers makes shooting larger game easier with the practice of those guns.
Great job,my favorite hunting besides coyotes, do you know of a guide in ID, would like to go there next year.THX,and great shooting for sure.

In WV I prefer the SSK midgrip because there as many groundhogs as in the past. Don't have to reload a lot.
In ID I prefer my original Rem. XPR rear grip because I shoot so much and so often at the rockchucks because I'm shooting almost nonstop each day. This year I killed 64 rockchucks in 2 1/2 hours! The 4 in the magazine & 1 up the pipe makes life simplier.
Both my SSK & Rem. .22-250s are extremely accurate (1/2"@100). I was afraid of the wind in ID originally & took a 6mmAI & .250 Sav.AI handguns, but found it wasn't really that bad.
Now I shoot exculsively Nos. 40 gr. BTs in my XPR & .223 Contender that I take to ID to let the XPR rest a little.
With the rear grip I get a little better sight picture in the scope. I use only Burris 3-12 BPlex scopes in all my handguns from .223 to .375/.284. Only had 2 problems out of 15 scopes in 30+ years. Burris replaced both free.
I know you really like the Burris scopes, however you might look at the Crimson Trace Brushline Pro. Really a nice scope.

I looked at the Crimson Trace before. Have no interest in them. The diamonds on the crosshair are to big to use on groundhogs at long range & other animals. The fine Burris hash marks are much more exact. Plus, the Crimson Trace doesn't have the magnification of the Burris.

As far as guides in ID. Their aren't any that I know of. I asked on one forum if anyone knew of farmers that had chuck problems. One guy gave me 3 names.2 struck out. The 3rd let me come. I killed 150 + in 5 days & he told some friends. Then they told more after they saw how I performed. Two years ago I killed 479. This year due to the really big snow/brutal temps I only killed 272, but I did get a few new farms. My ID total is 1373- 100% handguns.

I looked at the Crimson Trace before. Have no interest in them. The diamonds on the crosshair are to big to use on groundhogs at long range & other animals. The fine Burris hash marks are much more exact. Plus, the Crimson Trace doesn't have the magnification of the Burris.

As far as guides in ID. Their aren't any that I know of. I asked on one forum if anyone knew of farmers that had chuck problems. One guy gave me 3 names.2 struck out. The 3rd let me come. I killed 150 + in 5 days & he told some friends. Then they told more after they saw how I performed. Two years ago I killed 479. This year due to the really big snow/brutal temps I only killed 272, but I did get a few new farms. My ID total is 1373- 100% handguns.
How many days do you spend up in Idaho hunting?

I take one friend & hunt 4 days. Take him back to SLC & pick up 2nd friend. We hunt for 5 days. So, I tough it out & hunt 9 days. Seems like I'm in varmint paradise. Here's 32 of 64 chucks I killed in 2 1/2 hours.
My lifetime total of handgun groundhogs/rockchucks is 15,674.
DSC01524.JPG

125 to 350 usually with big guns. A few from 350-400. 25-104 with suppressed .22 & suppressed ammo. Killed 75+ of those with Ruger MKIII.