Hammer Trail & Vapor Trail

I've got a good Hammer trail video with my elk kill. I understand that it's the machine oil in the nose cavity burning off that causes this. What I don't understand is what causes enough heat to instantly burn the oil.
It's the air friction. Hornady discovered their Amax plastic tips were melting away in flight, so they made them heat proof in the ELD line.

Last edited:
It might not be the heat in the beginning. Think of how much pressure must be on the oil. Much like diesel in a diesel engine when the piston comes up on compression. A little heat and lot of pressure and you get combustion.

Kris

These are cool videos, and gives me a "Good Idea Fairy" idea. Believe it or not we have a hard time teaching guys to see the trace of a bullet in flight. Reading the trace and following the bullet on to the target as much as possible can give as good or better feedback than just trying to spot impacts. I actually added a short class with a powerpoint with videos to day 1 of the course to show students what to look for and where/how to look prior to getting on the range. The good idea fairly in me is saying "I wonder if it would help these new sniper students visualize the path of a bullet if I put some of this cutting oil in the open tip of our matchking ammo and did a demonstration with them looking through their optics?" Dumb idea?

BFD Guns,
I don't know about the bullet heating in flight (and not trying debate or debunk) but think about the heat and pressure pushing the bullet down the barrel, add that to the metal on metal friction of that bullet going down the barrel. Dude gone be hot!
Added: looks like Rosebud beat me to it.😂

So for defending against certain terrorists the hammers should be cleaned and the oil replaced with swine blood? Kinda cool they come with biult in reservoir like that.

I think I'll be adding oil to my non hammer hollow points like my berger 215s and making sure my hammers are oiled before loading them.

Kris