Cool Vapor Trail on video

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by aroshtr, Feb 16, 2013.

1. aroshtr

aroshtr Well-Known Member

I thought some of you guys would like to see a quick clip from a recent hunt. The lighting and weather conditions must have been just right, because you can see a bright white dot near the base of the bullet almost all the way to the elk. It is one of the best vapor trails I have filmed.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I40pW5HeHRU"]Amazing bullet vapor trail - YouTube[/ame]

2. ishootkittens

ishootkittens Well-Known Member

Whap! Judo chopped!

3. Clayne B

Clayne B Well-Known Member

Yeah that showed up really good. how far of a shot? gun)

4. paul2atlo8

paul2atlo8 Well-Known Member

Nice shot,cool vapor trail.

5. prm

prm Active Member

nice thanks for sharing:)

6. wnc-coyote

wnc-coyote Well-Known Member

Awesome video. What were you shooting?

7. aroshtr

The shot was 674 yards, and I was shooting a 338 Allen Xpress with the 300 grain Berger.

8. MT4XFore

MT4XFore Well-Known Member

Nice shot, and cool video. It's nice to see the AX hammer something besides a small steel disc at 500 meters. But we know they do that well, dont we.

Jim

9. aroshtr

Jim, the bad thing about having this gun is that after 7 kills this season, now all my other guns are gonna' be collecting dust for a while.:D

10. Arbogb06

Arbogb06 Well-Known Member

Looked a hair windy that day too. Heck of a shot.

11. midwesthunter

midwesthunter Well-Known Member

Nice shot, did you get a pass through?

12. aroshtr

The wind was between 12-14mph at 3 o'clock.

You can watch the whole video to get all the details, but it was a REALLY luck shot. I didn't want to post the details as I don't want people thinking I was bragging about it. But, I was trying to shoot her in the chest and thought I could thread the needle under that leaning branch. I misjudged the wind call by about 3", and I also thought that leaning tree was only about 5-8 yards in front of her, but it was actually about 15 yards in front. So the bullet actually hit the tree and glanced off and hit her perfectly in the side of the head. If you watch closely you will see a tan puff on the left side of the tree just below her head. In the full video I explain what happened, and my mistakes so we can all learn a little.

13. Idaho Sawyer

Idaho Sawyer Well-Known Member

great video clip! I appreciate posts of real world hunting and honesty that goes with it, sometimes that bullet doesn't go exactly where you want it go, chalk it up as a good mental "slide" for your next shot in those conditions. Your right, once you start hammering critters with 300 gr bergers, all your other guns get neglected!