Hammer Bullets Pic

RockyMtnMT

Official LRH Sponsor

Attachments

• PART_1457580412126.jpeg
    PART_1457580412126.jpeg
    47.2 KB · Views: 85
Looks good...I'll take some 80gr 243 bullets when you're ready.

I am soooo ready. We had to change copper alloy because low vel impacts were not good enough. Did preliminary testing last week and all looked good, particularly with the heavier bullets. Will be doing some more tests tomorrow. Many manufactures don't specify a velocity floor for their bullets. But coming from a long range background we feel it necessary to know for sure by testing what min vel for hunting is for each of our bullets, and pass that on to our customers. We also are waiting for a load of our new copper alloy to arrive. The .243 is one in particular that we will be testing tomorrow to have an accurate min vel so that you will know your max range that it will perform.

Steve

Looking good.

Any pictures of some expanded bullets from your expansion testing?

I'll do that tomorrow. I get involved in what I am doing and always forget to take pics. Do the same thing when hunting. Gotta get better.

Steve

You know, if you slimmed that .264 125gr bullet down to a .257"...That would be one nasty bullet for the fast .25 shooters, like myself. Wonder what twist it would require to spin it?

I am soooo ready. We had to change copper alloy because low vel impacts were not good enough. Did preliminary testing last week and all looked good, particularly with the heavier bullets. Will be doing some more tests tomorrow. Many manufactures don't specify a velocity floor for their bullets. But coming from a long range background we feel it necessary to know for sure by testing what min vel for hunting is for each of our bullets, and pass that on to our customers. We also are waiting for a load of our new copper alloy to arrive. The .243 is one in particular that we will be testing tomorrow to have an accurate min vel so that you will know your max range that it will perform.

Steve

With how much alike they seem compared to GS Custom bullets I would imagine low vel impacts will be about the same, they say around 1800 fps on their bullets. I'm curious what you'll find with yours.

You know, if you slimmed that .264 125gr bullet down to a .257"...That would be one nasty bullet for the fast .25 shooters, like myself. Wonder what twist it would require to spin it?

If we duplicate the 6.5 and just shrink the dia it would be 1.39" long and weigh 115g (est). Launched at 3000fps at sea level, the min recommended twist would be 7.25". We have one that we have been working on that is designed for a 7" twist and comes in closer to 120g.

Steve

With how much alike they seem compared to GS Custom bullets I would imagine low vel impacts will be about the same, they say around 1800 fps on their bullets. I'm curious what you'll find with yours.

Similar in the fact that they are mono metal. Design is quite a bit different. The drive band design is significantly improved. Which is how we got a patent.

We are determined to catch our bullets at vel to verify function. We made some assumptions in the past, and thankfully found out we were wrong before we marketed. We will no longer assume anything. If we do estimate a statistic on a bullet we will make it known that that statistic is an estimate. There is only one way to not get in trouble with customers. Stay honest and open.

Steve

Here is some more information regarding twist. We have done all of our twist rate calculations at sea level and 59 deg F. The original post showing our initial line of bullets are calculated based on the prevailing twist offered by manufactures factory rifles. We have done quite a bit of work on faster than normal twist in many calibers and will definitely continue to. Working on the frontier of shooting is very exciting.

caliber weight length recommended twist
.277 117g 1.213" 1-10"
.284 133g 1.293" 1-10"
.308 153g 1.244" 1-12"
.308 167g 1.393" 1-12"
.308 183g 1.524" 1-10"
.308 215g 1.752" 1-9"
.338 261g 1.793" 1-10"

Steve

If we duplicate the 6.5 and just shrink the dia it would be 1.39" long and weigh 115g (est). Launched at 3000fps at sea level, the min recommended twist would be 7.25". We have one that we have been working on that is designed for a 7" twist and comes in closer to 120g.

Steve

Would there be any way to shorten the bearing surface, stretch the boat tail, but elongate the tip more VLD Hybrid style, and get to around 125-130gr, that would work closer to a normal (10" twist). I'm sure it wouldn't work in a 10" twist, but would there be a way to get it closer? Just thinking out loud...

Longer the bullet the faster the twist requirement. Maybe I misunderstand your suggestion. I interpret your suggestion to be that elongating the bullet will reduce the twist rate required for bullet stabilization.

Yep, twist required is a function of length and weight. Mostly length. A shorter bearing surface with the same length would actually need more twist because it would lose weight. So it goes that the smaller bores need faster twist rates relatively to the bigger bores. The 6.5mm calibers in production are the only caliber that is up to date with how fast a twist should be. The market will come along, I hope.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts