Hammer bullet for short range bear hunting

Sure looks like you cannot read....OP never mentioned any brand.....never mentioned any Hammers.....

I've tried Hammers and they work OK also Makers but there are two facts in them why I would never use them again....#1 there made of copper not brass like a Cutting Edge Bullet brass is harder and will bend less than copper in the same designed bullet..... #2 Hammers and Makers they retain all of the bullet when mushroomed ....a Cutting Edge Bullet will expand in the first 2" of penetration then the front of the bullet will brake a way and radiate out with the "blades" cutting and slicing the base will continue going straight....I've had more animals shot in the chest cavity DRT with Cutting Edge Bullets than any other brand of bullets.....been hunting for close to 60 years been guiding for over 45 years I've see it all....
Did you not see the thread's TITLE?

I had another guide tell me he prefers 30cal cartridges for whitetails because the friction with the air burns the bullets down to about 7mm before they actually impact an animal.

So what you're saying is my 308 Widowmaker has actually been a 7mm not 8 all along, and that is why it is soooo slippery? 🤣

That guide could have been a weatherman.

And……I suppose that guides have not observed varying results from cup and core! 🤔

I'm not suggesting that they are bad guides…..but many, probably most have "very" limited knowledge of firearms, ballistic, or bullets! "That's my story and I'm stick'n to it" 😉😁 memtb
I don't disagree with you. Some, though have gone to the point of building their own rifles for clients to use because many times the client brings a rifle that is not accurate enough or is inappropriate for the hunt at hand. I haven't met a guide yet that uses target lead core bullets to hunt with, though. They are certainly aware of the difference.

I don't disagree with you. Some, though have gone to the point of building their own rifles for clients to use because many times the client brings a rifle that is not accurate enough or is inappropriate for the hunt at hand. I haven't met a guide yet that uses target lead core bullets to hunt with, though. They are certainly aware of the difference.

I would say apparently not...see post 288. "Cause they get smaller..."

I would say apparently not...see post 288. "Cause they get smaller..."
I see your point after reading #288. I forgot the part of the 30cal reducing down to 7mm. In any group of "professionals" there are those that don't know what their doing, that includes guides. In general I have had very good experiences with the guides I have used, but that is a small select group.

My thoughts on guides (and I have no experience) get me on the game, that is their job. Mine is to put the bullet of MY choice in the sweetspot. Granted this is a forum of individuals a little different from your run of the mill group.
IMG_3415.gif

Wow…..that was a "bieotch slap" 🙀 to some of our comrades on here! 😉 😂memtb

Wow…..that was a "bieotch slap" 🙀 to some of our comrades on here! 😉 😂memtb
Target bullets tend to shoot accurately but when the manufacturer discourages their use in hunting, that is something to take note off. Guys will do what they want to do, regardless, so using a fragile target bullet that fails is their responsibility and they have to be accepting of the results. Target bullets for short range Bear hunting is not a good idea since they are fragile and at a high impact velocity there is an elevated risk of very poor penetration. Just my opinion.

"Target bullets tend to shoot accurately but when the manufacturer discourages their use in hunting, that is something to take note off. Guys will do what they want to do, regardless, so using a fragile target bullet that fails is their responsibility and they have to be accepting of the results. Target bullets for short range Bear hunting is not a good idea since they are fragile and at a high impact velocity there is an elevated risk of very poor penetration. Just my opinion."

It is my understanding that target bullets actually have a heavier wall thickness (to handle the heat of rapid firing) so they may not expand as well when used as a hunting bullet. Nevertheless, I have used Berger hybrid target bullets in both 7mm and 30 caliber with excellent results for hunting animals to the size of elk. I have also used the Berger EOL bullets similarly. Choose your bullets and shot placement according to your information and understanding and I will do the same.

I'm going to book a hunt to Saskatchewan for this summer and I intend to shoot a 308 win. The shots will be short distance, but I'm wanting really good bullet performance. Does anyone have any experience with any of the heavies in that class that will fly properly out of a 1:10 twist barrel?
I'm thinking one of those more blunt profiles would be perfectly suited for this but looking for someone with experience with them. Thanks
I have a tendency to play with loads a lot. My Winchester Model 70s are .308's with 1/10 twist barrels. The heaviest that either of them will shoot accurately are 200 gr Nosler partitions. They both much prefer 165 or 180 gr. Both shoot sub moa, the 200's shoot right at 1 moa. If shooting short distances, 200 yards or less there should be no problem with a 200 gr bullet out of a 1/10 twist barre.