Had much fun yesterday

rdsii64

Yesterday I packed up my gun and headed 105 miles north to the Angeles shooting range. There I had my first opportunity since I have owned my new rifle to see what it could do and I could do with it. The last time I shot at a long range target it was on a 6 foot by 6 foot target sled with the targets geometric center and the center of of the target sled being the same point. Those of us who have served in the military know what I am talking about.

This time I had no such luxory. So in preperation to be humbled I went back to the basics. I got a good prone supported position. I made it my mission to concentrate on trigger sqeeze and natural point of aim. I tried to make sure I broke every shot on the natural respiratory pause with no air in my lungs. Wonder of wonders I was able to hit the 600 yard pig with the kind of regularity that left me almost awe struck. The remainder of the sillouettes between 200 and 600 yards were pigs and goats of varying sizes and 9 inch round plates and some square plates of unknown size. These to fell victim to both the 150 and 180 grain death pills launched from my trusty Howa 1500. towards the end of my trip I found my self trying to see how many shots it took to hit a target using just my 100 yard zero so I could practice hold overs. When I left the range I knew where to hold from 200 through 600 yards with a 100 yard zero. I am now shopping for a new scope with a mil dot reticle.( what I have now is a basic #4) For what its worth getting reaquainted with the fundementals was much fun.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.